Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD Standard operating temps

i agree with striek on this one. lol. but anyhow if your looking for temp. then i have an athlon 2800+ (working at full speed thanks to striek by the way). on idle it run about 42 C.
    running an athlon you will start running the risk of frying components at 55 C.
    Also if your planning to overclock i agree with nihil on this one. the stock heat sink and fan for the CPU is pretty much useless.

Ice cubes? I dont see that as smart, but what ever floats your boat, or your processor... Any kind of liquid cooling is just asking to fry your system. Anyway, mine runs at about 85 degrees with about 8 fans in the case and a 5 inch bay fan housing...

well we were just kidding about the using ice to cool your system jhollings (well at least i was im hoping striek was too lol) but are you overclockinng jhollings and im hoping thats fahrenheit. if it is thats a little cool. 8 fans might be a little extensive unless you plan to overclock. although i guess it not a problem unless your proccessor gets around 5 C or below.

Very good point there fusiono71!

Not many people realise that you can have your case/processor too cold.

The secret lies in the ambient (room) temperature and the relative humidity. If you have a room temperature of say 20c(68f) and 80% RH and you chill your case down to 5c (40f) You run a severe risk of creating condensation inside the PC...............and they certainly don't like that!!!

Anyone who has messed with water cooled peltiers will know the issue well You even have to watch out for icicles!!!

I usually work on a rough guide of about +15c if the room temp is at 20-25c

When it gets above that you need air conditioning in the room rather than coolers for the PC?

Cheers

Ok, well I know the heatsink is approved for the processor because it came in a sealed retail box and I have gotten some cheap ceramique based thermal compound in hopes that that would help but it appears I need a better compound. Today I will either get the Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser edition, or I'll order it online and it'll be here soon. Whenever I get this if the compound I have now doesn't seem to yield the type of results that I'm looking for then I'll go out and buy some arctic silver. The room temp is usually right about 71 F which if I estimated right is about 24c-25c, my main HDD, a 60GB 7200RPM, ATA/133 drive which has the OS, all my games and other software runs about 55c on average, getting up to over 60c while playing some games, I just got a new one for christmas which is a 120GB, 7200RPM, 8MB cache, also ATA/133 and I've only used about 10 or 15 GB of it so far and it only runs in the 30's c, is this just because it doesn't have as much data to search through to find what it's looking for or because it's a better drive? I have 1 80mm case fan that blows about 42CFM blowing in right in front of my HDD's, one blowing out the side, with about the same rate of air flow, another 80mm case fan that blows about 35CFM blowing out the back as well as the PSU fan blowing out, is this too much out compared to the in or is this acceptable? I have tied up all my power cables and have 2 rounded IDE cables mainly because I have a window and then it came to my attention that this helps the cooling too.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.