Thread: Thank you Micro$oft

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

Thank you Micro$oft

Life is supposed to be simple.

I had a 15g HD which was getting "small". So I bought an 80g drive (Maxtor). Following the instructions I set the jumpers so that the new drive would be slave. Booted everything up, ran the MAXblast utilities to format and configure the new drive.

Then I tried to use the MAXBlast utilities to copy everything from the 15g to the 80g. (I have other plans for the 15g).

It gets almost all of the way through the process and then XP tells me ther has been a problem and it wants to "call home".

At this point I do a normal shutdown and remove the 80g drive. Upon reboot, the C drive has become D and most programs won't work because their targets are on C. I try to reset the drive lettering but that utility can't call up necessary files because it can't find C:\....... Viewing the device manager and file manager show no C drive.

So later on today I will get to build up the 80g drive from the ground up and load software from scratch and spend the day updating everything.

You would think that Windows would allow you to clone. Not everyone is trying to pirate them. Some people have a legitimate and legal need to copy. I guess chairman Bill would want me to throw the computer away and buy a new computer witha new copy of Windoze.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    One more reason. M$ Sucks. Thats it , not more not less. I know how many times i freaked out because Windows didn't work. Goddammmit.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I've probably spent 20+ hours on this project now. I know has soon as I wipe out the original drive there'll be some file or setting I forgot to move over. Oh well.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot