Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: my comp's restarting again&again!

The avg is a good one.http://www.grisoft.com

Banned
    Hi.well I get Pc Doctor and it detected a couple of problems but according to that program none of these erros would restart my computer.I think that the time between the restarts isn't always the same.Sometimes its just 5 minutes,while sometimes its an hour.
    I had some problems with my registry that doesn't let met uninstall my Norton Anti Virus...and that's why whenever I try installing some new AntiVirus software I find out that I can't install it bcuz it detects an AntiVirus software already.
    I'll post the log of DR.Watson later.
    I'm using Windows XP pro and my ram's 128 MB

We had a similiar situation when someone upgraded a service pack on a test machine we had. We were able to resolve the whole situation by popping in the Windows 2000 CD and doing a restore. We lost no information and 99% of our current settings stayed in tact.

Norton antivirus?

I will say no more

Happy new year

umm...this'll prolly sound lame..but maybe you have a batch file that tells windows to restart every time it starts..It might not come up in the processes list when you press ctr+alt+del if someone messed with the autoexec.bat file...try to boot up in dos mode and see if you've got a suspicious looking start up program listed there as well..peace

You might try re-installing your NAV. I have encountered several instances of NAV getting damaged/corrupted and producing strange results. If you do a re-install it might let you uninstall properly?

I would also try to do a repair of the Win XP install from the CD?

Normally this kind of problem is to do with overheating, but I would expect that to result in a shut-down not a restart, and the timings to shutdown to be very similar.

I have had something similar with Win Me and solved it by going into startup and cancelling all the power saving options. so you might like to try that, also turn off any screensavers, as a corrupt one of those might explain things?

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ali,

I'm using Win XP Pro, 640 Meg/RAM & NAV 2003. All is well.
    What version of NAV are you using ?

Banned
    hey all and thanks for your help.I installed AVG and it works fine and I found some viruses.I've deleted them and now my computer works fine.Thanks for all your help.Cheers!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Just before everyone goes off to another thread ? I am starting with similar probs to ali 1.
    have tried to get PC Doc, but page comes up as Formail, and underneath it headers as "Badness" ?? I run W2K Pro, sp4 + all patches. It doesn't re-boot, it just locks up, and I have to reset with a manual re-boot, in case of over temp I have the side off, and the exhaust fan has been repositioned to blow into the box, I have PC Alert ? running, showing that CPU is 70*C ? CPU = AMD 1.3 Gig. It locks up online, when gaming and has began to lock up when I leave the unit to 'rest' any advice gladly taken,

edit : I run Norton NetSec 2004
    edit 2 : I have followed the idea's from the thread. Not to sure how to find threads in forum, hence put it here ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi Foxy............if that IS centigrade (celcius) then you are running way too hot IMHO, unless you are doing some serious overclocking?

Try going into BIOS and checking if you have a cutoff temperature value set? what is it? and is it F or C?

You say a 1.3 AMD..............is that a Duron?...........It should get up to about 32c when you are killing aliens I generally work on about 10-12c above ambient temperature

I would check that all fans are OK.............if it is Farenheit, then you are OK as 70 is only about 22c?

I would also look at drivers for your video card

How much RAM?

You might have a memory leak or deadly embrace? You might like to try the diagnostics of a memory manager tool to see what RAM is actually available at the time of lock-up?

when did you last defragment your HDD?

Locking up when at rest is something I have had with an IBM PIII/533 I have just upgraded....that was the screensaver/power management settings that I mentioned to Ali1.Win98se OS though

Locking up in online gaming could be resource? (RAM) Some games like a fancy video card, others a lot of RAM.

Follow the normal anti virus, anti spyware routines to eliminate that possibility of course.

Good Luck

Just a few more thoughts?