Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my comp's restarting again&again!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    nihil, thanx for the input. sad to say it's Celcius !!! 512 MB DDR ram, recently the M$ site downloaded new drivers ??? Nvidia FX 5200, Computer just re-built, due to me ballsing it up ??? new MoBo, CPU =1.3 AMD Athlon, new HDD, up to 40Gig from 20Gig, and have not loaded any of the old rubbish, also put in EXTRA fans, from QuietPC.co.uk and a new PSU. And I don't use screen savers, but the power management could do with a check ?
    Apologies to Ali 1, for the thread Hi-jack.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Foxy,

Sorry mate that is way too hot for a 1.3 Athlon IMHO. Are you sure that the CPU fan is spinning properly and its power cable isn't in the way of the fan blades?

Is the heatsink an AMD approved one?

Is the fan properly attached to the heatsink?....no wobble?

Is the heatsink properly attached to the processor?.........no white goo oozing out at the base?

If the processor fan is ok I would look at the heatsink to processor interface and make sure that I had some silver thermal compound in there.

Hell I run a couple of Athlon 1900+, which are similar technology and they don't go above 42c

What is the cut-off temp in you BIOS? it could be that it is being triggered now that you are into high temps? I think Athlons are between 80 and 90c in their usual tolerance.

Was it a new heatsink and fan, or did you "liberate it"......I have seen stuff fried with heatsinks "that looked big enough". Size is NOT equal to thermal efficiency?

Cheers

umm...this'll prolly sound lame..but maybe you have a batch file that tells windows to restart every time it starts..It might not come up in the processes list when you press ctr+alt+del if someone messed with the autoexec.bat file...try to boot up in dos mode and see if you've got a suspicious looking start up program listed there as well..peace
    A bit hard to do if the file system is NTFS.. well that is if you don't have NTFS2DOS or similar.

hey all and thanks for your help.I installed AVG and it works fine and I found some viruses.I've deleted them and now my computer works fine.Thanks for all your help.Cheers!
    Ok.. Very good Ali.. and what were they.. It certainly will help many noobs out there if you could enlighten us as to the names of the virii.. it would be helpful

Now nihil,

what HSF are you running.. my AMD 2000XP with std AMD fan and Heasink as well as a couple of extra case fans and hdd cooling fans.. the CPU temp currently 52deg Room temp is 23deg (7am here) it has been upto 66 deg (@room temp 42deg) .. have considered the TT Volcano 9.. oh in winter the cpu idles at 42deg but the max room temps are in the low 20's.. (and no.. I dont work in here when the room temps are in the 40's.. those are the unattended room temps.. when occupied.. the temp is 22-28)

My Point.. to add to what you have commented.. regardless of HSF etc.. if the hot air in the case isn't being evacuated.. or the air flow to/from the cpu hs is restricetd.. and/or the ambient air temp is high.. it is harder to cool the cpu..
    Oh another question.. when the cpu was installed (assuming 2nd hand) was fresh Heat transfer paste used? have seen guy's fry their AMD cpu's by installing the Heatsink incorrectly..
    HAve had PSU's cause heating problems.. new ones at that.. seems supply noise is the cause.. never spent the time working out the full reason why.. just know the engineer said swap, I did.. and prob fixed..

Cheer
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Und3ertak3r,

Happy new year mate!

I am not saying that these are "the best" products, but they work for me...........remember that I am in England, where a room (ambient) temperature of 30c (85f) would be unusual, particularly as I am about 200 yards (185M) from the North Sea.......it does get a bit hotter inland, but no more than 40c (105f)?

I have been using the CoolerMaster Alps HHC-L61 Silent Heat Pipe outfit. I like the concept of the heat pipe with its evaporation and condensation. It runs at 3000rpm and shifts 14.13cfm of air. The heatsink is "pure" copper which is much more thermally efficient than aluminium. Any of you guys noticed that a lot of cooking pans are made of aluminium, and the expensive ones have copper bottoms?

I am about to build an XP3000+ box and have a CoolerMaster Dream HAC-V81 for it. This is a more traditional design but has 2500-4800 variable fan speeds and will shift 31.4-64.8cfm (yeah, yeah, I know its a PC not a bloody wind tunnel I am building )

http://www.coolermaster.com.hk

I always take the pack of white thermal "gunk" and throw it straight in the bin! You need SILVER!.....Arctic Silver or Antec Reference are the ones I use (haven't got hold of any of that carbon stuff yet). Silver thermal compound is about 20x (2,000%) more efficient than the white stuff.

As you and I have both mentioned, you need to get the warm air out of the case......particularly from around the hard drives! I have found that for £5 I can get "exhaust fans". These are flat devices that look a bit like the engine of a hovercraft. They take up one PCI/ISA slot in the case, but if you have a full size tower you can stick it down the bottom, below the MoBo, so you don't lose an active slot .......OK you physicists I know that hot air rises...........these are "brute force and ignorance" devices, so it doesn't matter.

Other thoughts whilst I am ranting on:

Cable ties are no more than about 5c each........tidy the guts up!......keep wires out of the way of fans and the airflow.

You can get circular cables to replace the flat ones.....better airflow.

I will not go into water cooled peltiers, as I know that small children, people of a sensitive disposition, and cuddly Koala Bears read this forum

Happy New Year to you all

Johnno

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Hi guys
    Sorry for the delay, have field stripped the beasty to bits,
    to recap: all parts added were new, CPU 1.3 Duron (not athlon) PSU, added an extra fan to pull air out. at moment side is OFF, extra fan at side to blow in !!! MoBo is new, even the goo is new. However, I found that I put the old (although it is only a couple of months old) CPU cooler back ???? Old CPU 800 MHz new 1.3 Gig have ordered new cooler, unfortunately ?? I spotted a deal to buy an AMD 2.4 Gig CPU WITH new cooler, cooler on it's own = £5 ($7)spent £70 ($100) instead, if wife reads this I'm going to get a roasting ?? Thanx 2 nihil for the assist.
    will sign off now as CPU really does need a sleep, have been running at this temp for a month !!! and the lock ups started about a week ago ?
    as for the other options in your mails, have fitted round cables, and cable ties, and am getting some "arctic silver" too.

Edit: PS. I know where there is a 1.3 AMD Duron CPU going cheap.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi,

You put an 800Mhz heatsink & fan on a 1.3GHz Duron

A mate of mine recently fried two 1.3 Durons and a MoBo doing exactly the same thing?

Durons need a fair bit of cooling from what I have seen of the heatsing & fan specs, I presume it has something to do with their architecture?

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

You put an 800Mhz heatsink & fan on a 1.3GHz Duron

A mate of mine recently fried two 1.3 Durons and a MoBo doing exactly the same thing?

Durons need a fair bit of cooling from what I have seen of the heatsing & fan specs, I presume it has something to do with their architecture?

Cheers
    From what I understand, AMD and Celeron processors all run a bit hot. When you think about it though it isn't hard to see. If they give you a good fast processor with not as much cache, but for a cheaper price...Well, to me it seems that they just overclock a regular chip and sell it as another brand.

Intel did this, to my knowledge, in the 80s with the ....Was it 3 or 486DX ? I'm trying to remember. We learned about it in my OSs class.

While we are on the topic of processors and cooling, does anyone know what the COOLEST running processor is? I'v heard Pentium 2s run fairly hot but I have no experiance with one. But what would be the processor that runs the coolest without extra fans and so on?

Hi Gore,

I think that it was the 386......the PCs had a "turbo button", otherwise they ran like a 286?

I would think that the coolest processor would be the 486DX. I have seen a lot of them that have nothing more than a small aluminium heatsink, and rely on the case fan.

I have 3 Pentium IIs and they do run hot...............the heatsink & fan systems are pretty bulky as well. I have fitted them all with exhaust fans as described earlier.

I have found that PI's are pretty cool and PIIIs by comparison to the PII

I would say the coolest processors are probably the PIVs provided that you use a recommended heatsink & fan combination. The advantage of a PIV is that it should cut out if it overheats, rather than frying like an AMD

Don't get me wrong, I like AMDs, they do the job but you do need to be a bit more careful about your case geometry and cooling.......but you should do that anyway

Cheers

EDIT: Just had a thought, with the Intel 486 you could get a DX or an SX. The difference was that the DX had an on-chip math co-processor. If you examine the SX you find that it HAD a math co-processor, and that it has been physically disabled. In other words Intel made DXs and vandalised some of them to sell as the cheaper SX

Banned
    well,Hi every one.Can't tell you what crap I've been through.Because there was some really bad problem with the BIOs of my computer.After I posted my last reply here,and turned off the computer,as soon as the Windows were about to get loaded,the computer would restart again.I got crazy trying to solve it but couldn't.So at last I had to take it to a shop where that guy made partitions of the hard disk.And I lost all the stuff I've been collecting from the internet from the last 2 years!!I lost quite much the data of my website too.Luckily I had the backup of my website's data on the internet.However finally now my computer's back and working.But still I feel sorry that I lost all my music,games,and software etc.
    Hope no one goes through such a problem again!!

Originally posted here by ali1
    well,Hi every one.Can't tell you what crap I've been through.Because there was some really bad problem with the BIOs of my computer.After I posted my last reply here,and turned off the computer,as soon as the Windows were about to get loaded,the computer would restart again.I got crazy trying to solve it but couldn't.So at last I had to take it to a shop where that guy made partitions of the hard disk.And I lost all the stuff I've been collecting from the internet from the last 2 years!!I lost quite much the data of my website too.Luckily I had the backup of my website's data on the internet.However finally now my computer's back and working.But still I feel sorry that I lost all my music,games,and software etc.
    Hope no one goes through such a problem again!!
    The BIOS was causing this? It's a bit odd having a problem in there. I'v been using computer...Well, not long, got my first one 4 years ago. But I have never seen a problem with BIOS. Then again the only time I was ever in it was messing around once to learn about it, and again to disable the onboard Video and Ethernet devices of a new PC I bought a few months ago. "Shared RAM for video" is a curse to me.

Did the tech that fixed it at least help you to understand how it may have happened to sit doesn't havea chance to repeat it's self?