Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried sharing a drive on my network, now I get access denied from local machine

Tried sharing a drive on my network, now I get access denied from local machine

I recently had to reinstall windows due to some error with a file called idechndr.sys. So I reinstalled and all worked well. Then I tried to get to my shared drive from the other computer, and its working, except I can't access a few of the directories from a remote machine. So I go to my shared comp, move all the contents of the dirs to some temp folder, delete the original one, make one with the same name and move everything back in. I try accessing it from the remote machine again, it doesn't seem to work. So I go to windows explorer and try to access the folder myself, but I'm getting an error F:/dir/dir is not accessible, access is denied (this is from the local machine the drive is on). Any ideas wtf happened? I'm running xp pro with sp1 and all concurrent updates intstalled.

Well, to my knowledge (limited), you could have several problems. Try checking your file sharing permissions in your new install. Make sure that you are allowed access on remote system.
    Check your network to make sure that both machine show up properly.
    You told us you are using XP Pro on one machine, but is your other box the same or a different os? Some times XP don't recognise other os's especially if the file system they use is other than ntfs.
    Hope this gives you some places to start.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

All my sharing and permissions are set ok, one is xp pro the other is xp home, and they're both ntfs.

Now this will probably sound silly.....but have you rebooted both systems since you have made changes? If all your permissions are right and all sharing is set, that is the only thing I can think of that might be holding you up.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Yes they've been rebooted....but this is weird...

So I try to get to one of the dir's im having trouble with, in my case its F:/Stuff. So I right click on that and try to share that instead of my F drive. So I right click on it and hit sharing and security, then I check the boxes for share and allow remote user to change files and hit ok. Then it says an error occured when trying to share F:/Stuff. Access is Denied. The shared resource was not created at this time. So then I click ok, and try to access the folder again, and it lets me, as well as allows me to view it from the remote comp.

I'm thinking one of 2 possibiites, a virus (I'm running a virus-scan now), or one of those weird things in windows that's never been fixed.

AO French Antique News Whore
    You have NetBios on? I had the problem once 2 XP machines couldn't talk to each other except is NetBios was on..
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    You have NetBios on? I had the problem once 2 XP machines couldn't talk to each other except is NetBios was on..
    It looks as if netbios is off, on both of them

It looks as if netbios is off, on both of them
    Then you could try this.
    Set netbios on for both machines and configure yoiur firewall so that both machines are in the trusted zone and everything else is not. And if you are useing windows, set your security for both machines the same way.
    That will probably allow for sharing files and drives.
    Author Unknown

Well I have a router, so I'm good with the firewall part, and doing what you suggested doesn't fix my problem. Ty anyway

Try this
    Got to google and searck for something like Visual Drive Creator or something that is supported by XP and works in a network. You can fing lots of such stuff out there. Try using Visual Drive Creator http://www.j-a-associates.com
    There are 10 kinds people on Earth.
    Those who know Binary and those who dont.

[flip]4675636B207468652064616D6E20626C6F6F6479206861636B65642D757020776F726C6400[/flip]