loging screen appears twice?????????????

Thread: loging screen appears twice?????????????

loging screen appears twice?????????????

hi all and merry christmas and happy new year 2004,
    maybe does not fall under security topic probbly more software issue?
    when i boot computer and comes to log in screen with users to log that screen stays 2-3 seconds and then logging screen apears again?
    why this happen?
    this is friend pc.it doesn happen on mine pc.
    why logging screen happen twice??
    intel pentium 3 551 mhz
    256ram
    gf4 440
    thnsks

Unless you are trying to access a shared resource that the current user doesn't have access to you shouldn't have to log in twice. So, you may have run into a program that steals your password or something. To see if this is true try typing in bogus information (Type in gibberish or random keys for a password) and see if the login screen goes away. The fake one *should* accept it, but the real one would say the password is wrong. Unfortunately though, some of these programs are more advanced and are acturally able to completely hide the real one, and just forward the information to see if it is correct or not. But, if both of these prompts only work when the right user/pass is put in, it *might* be legitimate... If not...

I'd suggest doing a virus scan / spy ware scan, making sure both programs have the most recent updates/definitions. Is this a Windows 9x machine, or is it NT/2K/XP? If it is NT/2000/XP you should find the option where you have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to log in so that you can tell which one is a real login screen. (The real one show up after you press CTRL+ALT+DEL, not before you finish the entire combination also) As for a 9x (95/98) machine, there is no option like this. In either case, to get rid of this you will have to go through startup files and find out what doesn't belong, if the Virus/Adware scan doesn't find it.

Hopefully other AO Members can offer more insight to this since I'm going to be going on a road trip soon. Good luck.

-Tim_axe

Hi mate............merry Christmas, but that is over for you in OZ by now.........have a good new year.........watch out for heatstroke! must be about 100F with you guys right now?..last lot of snow has just about melted here

1. What operating system does your mate run?
    2. Does the box run OK after the second log on?
    3. How long has this been happening for?.........or, more to the point, has it ever booted "normally", and what has he done since then?

Cheers

sry missed to say xp pro
    ty nihil it is all over and it is hot so beach babies here we come
    it has happening since beginning of instalation
    after i log in everything is ojust first log in screans is there for few seconds and then comes again second one no chance to write anithing there it last only couple seconds thats all
    thnks

Antionline Herpetologist
    You should enable the press Ctrl+Alt+Del to login option. This'll tell you which one is the real login box. I forget how exactly to do this, someone else will probably do that.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Yeah there is a chance that it might be a program to grab your passwords.

I don't remember exactly how to enable ctrl+alt+del login option but I believe you go to control panel, then user accounts and click the link that says change the way users log on and off.

Just uncheck use teh welcome screen and use fast user switching.

I believe it should ask you press ctrl+alt+del now.
    =

My immediate reaction is to f-disk an re-install the OS...............took me three goes to get my first XP box stable..........OK mostly my fault

It does sound like you might have something "naughty" , but an unstable install would look the same?

I am going for re-install at the moment

Good luck