MS Money Recovery HELP!

Thread: MS Money Recovery HELP!

Banned

MS Money Recovery HELP!

Ok, this is really important, i just reformated my hard drive, and before i did, i backed up my MS Money 2000 into a Disk in a .mbl file. Now, i try to restore it and it says ".../My Money.mbl is corrupted or not a Money backup file". I have no idea what to do, i had very important items inside of it. Is there any way i could recover what was in there?

You have two possible chances:

1. Reformatting may not have lost your data from the HDD so a data recovery tool may work. If you have not overwritten it. I don't have a link but groovicus wrote an interesting tut on secure deletion, and he mentioned some recovery tools he used in his testing...you might PM him?

2. You might also be able to do something with the disk? If you do not find the data on your HDD try copying this and then reading the file from your HDD.......or better still try it on another machine with MS Money on it. Try to create another Money back up and use a text editor to examine the headers............there might be a corruption there?

3. Do a search for "Unstopable Copier" by roadkil if you have difficulty.

4. Also try importing the data into another MS Money (clutching at straws here but I have made it work in Excel and Access)

5. Check that your MS Money is still working........did you re-install........have you applied all updates from the MS site?

Good Luck

I love you nihil.

Banned
    Yeah, i'm going to try a recovery tool. Hopefully, that will find some fairly recently backups (i actually did find another backup, but it was more than a year old). Also, i think the disk is what really screwed everything up. I tried to do some repairs to it and stuff, but it said there were some problems with the allocation or something like that. I dont think the problems with the program because i can back up and restored items just fine. Also, since the file is compressed, it really doesn't work when you try to open it up with notepad (is there a way to uncompress it?).

Hi Bob,

What kind of disk are we talking about here? a 3.5" floppy or a CD?

Yes, your data will be compressed, and encrypted as well I should hope.............I am not the "resident expert" on MS money, I have just helped a few personal friends in the past.......... I always use Office Pro Developer Edition.........that's what the Customers want

You only need to look at the first 4 or 5 lines, as these are usually not compressed or encrypted.

It does sound like a media problem could have crept in here. Use a drive cleaner a couple of times, and if it is a CD, clean that as well............Isopropyl alcohol, soft material, work from centre out radially...NOT circularly.

I have not tried Unstoppable copier on anything but a hard drive, so I am not sure if it will work, but you might try it or something similar on the disk.

Another thought is to try copying the disk with another operating system such as Win98/NT4.0...I have had success with that, like disk will not work in four machines but will in the fifth?

I know that Win2k is NTFS, but the diskettes are not.....if it is a floppy we are talking about?

Good Luck