Thread: Strange Thread From Nowhere

Strange Thread From Nowhere

Anyone care to explain this?

/edit
    The thread was just replied to and instead of a reply being added to the thread, a new thread was created with the current time, date, and thread starter, but with the same thread name.

What happened gore?
    edit/
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

check out the date

Tcp/ip 01-01-1970 at 05:30 AM
    Topic Started By: gore | Last Reply By: gore
    Thread Is In: Newbie Security Questions | Total Replies: 0
    The AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is Currently: even

and whan i replied a new thread whit me as the author with current date
    Tcp/ip Today at 02:12 PM
    Topic Started By: w0lverine | Last Reply By: w0lverine
    Thread Is In: Newbie Security Questions | Total Replies: 4

Hrm. I just replied to the thread in question and had no trouble (then deleted reply, since it was just a testing thing). Did you use the quick-reply box at the bottom of the thread page, or the form on the new reply page?

I'll try to look into this tomorrow... what an odd glitch. More info about how this came about would be appreciated.

thanks
    - h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Banned
    Maybe the large text has something to do with it. Just a wild guess. Good night.

there was this thread a the main page. when i opened the thread it said no posts found

Tcp/ip 01-01-1970 at 05:30 AM
    Topic Started By: gore | Last Reply By: gore
    Thread Is In: Newbie Security Questions | Total Replies: 0
    i just tried replying through the quick reply and boom a new thread. with me as the author of the thread. and according to "gore" the original thread starter a DB arror occured and boom the thread was gone

Topic Started By: w0lverine | Last Reply By: w0lverine
    Thread Is In: Newbie Security Questions | Total Replies: 4
    i later deleted my
    thread as it was a sheer waste of space a resources

I remember seeing something like this when everyone was trying to figure out who JP sold AO to. It feels good to finally have an idea how this sort of stuff came about. My guess is that it has something to do with that page that says "Invalid Thread Specified..., etc." That page is supposed to come up, and since it didn't in this case there is something in the database that keeps track of this that isn't updated correctly, thus trying to display it instead of showing the "Invalid Thread" message. It probably isn't wise to just "patch this up" by checking for replies before displaying it, but should rather going to the core of the problem and make sure the code and database reflects this so it doesn't happen again?

Chances are this could acturally be an issue with vBulletin, since I *think* that is a standard part of the message board. Plus it has been a rarely seen issue since at least about 6 months ago. Probably at some point in time some code got swapped out and forgotten about, so this check is not done? Just tossing out a wild guess as to the cause...