Thread: On line Sequrity/Cripto Courses

On line Sequrity/Cripto Courses

does any body know any good online/distanse courses on network security or criptography
    thanx

I'm not to sure about courses, but I would check you local library or bookstore. There are many great books out there on network security. Just got a new one today called Hacking Exposed covers all sorts of attacks and ways to defend againts them...

I got the book at Half Priced Books, but heres a link to it on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I haven't found anything online for security, but I did find University of Phoenix Online that offers a bachelors degree in computer info sys. I've found the Hacking Exposed books to be excellent resources. If your just looking for personal Knowledge I think online or self-study would be ok but if your looking to enter the field for a career, I would ask some of the sys admins, etc, on this site who hire people what there opinion is of an online college degree versus a college degree from a traditional campus. I'd be interested in how they view this too.
    As I am older(late 30's) and work full time and have a family to support and would love to move into the computer field but cannot take the time to attend a traditional campus.

An excellent site for training is www.sans.org. They offer classroom and online training. I have not taken any online courses, but have taken one of their classroom courses and if the content online equals that of the classroom, it should be an excellent value.

As for online college classes, I am currently studying for my MBA in Technology Management through University of Phoenix online and the courses are every bit as difficult as I imagine classroom courses are. There is a lot of reading and writing as you cannot take tests in the traditional sense, so you are graded on your papers and on class participation. Classes are held in newsgroups and the discussions can get heated, as in any newsgroup. Overall, my employer is quite happy with the online class and the value I am returning them (they are paying 75% of my tuition), so I would say that employers should view online degrees as having the same value as classroom degrees. This is a trend and more and more colleges and universities are offering online training, so I am sure there will be greater acceptance as time progresses.

One additional comment about the Hacking Exposed books. Be careful of the edition you purchase. The fourth edition is the latest edition. These are excellent books, but as new OSes are released and new exploits arise, new editions are released to keep up with things. Half priced books only has the third edition. Another good source is www.bookpool.com.

thanks for all the info
    One additional comment about the Hacking Exposed books. Be careful of the edition you purchase. The fourth edition is the latest edition
    i have the third edition of Hacking Exposed Network Security Secrets & Solutions

but still havent found a good online Critography or Security Course

Ninja Code Monkey
    I've taken a few of the online training courses from SANS/GIAC. I like them alot.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X