Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: why does win 2k insist on sharing C$ and D$?

Custom User
    SirDice, that's cool. What I actually said was that I didn't know of any way to customise it (because I'm not really a windows person despite the fact that I use it). Thanks for explaining that to me...I had a feeling that it would be something to do with editing the registry.

I wonder why there isn't a way for individual users to have their own "registry", though, that would enable them to install programs, but only in their own space. I mean, surely not all of the programs that edit the registry when they install need to make changes on a global basis (i.e. need to change settings for every user).

Anyhow...thanks for the reply.

ac

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by gothic_type
    I wonder why there isn't a way for individual users to have their own "registry", though, that would enable them to install programs, but only in their own space. I mean, surely not all of the programs that edit the registry when they install need to make changes on a global basis (i.e. need to change settings for every user).
    There is a registry hive for individual users (HKEY_USERS and HKEY_CURRENT_USER). Most programs use that part of the registry to store settings perticular to that user (like windowsize, what toolbars and other settings). This way an administrator can configure global settings and the user settings are kept seperated from each other i.e. each user can have their own settings.

It basicly all boils down to how this program was written (and set up) and what features of windows it uses. I have to admit that there's alot of crappy written software out there that just doesn't want to work as it should
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by pf1359
    No, I have disabled the 'Administrator' account and password-protected the account with admin privileges. I have several other computers in my home workgroup, and have even used several other flavors of Linux, and none have ever displayed the root shares in Samba. The first time I accessed C$, it opened right up. The second time it asked for the admin password.

Obviously, I have edited the registry to close that particular loophole. Wouldn't it make more sense to DISABLE those shares by default, and allow them to be ENABLED by an admin who needs them for remote administration?
    Its possible you had/have simple file sharing enabled, which allows unauthenticated access to shares. And what do you mean it didn't ask for the password the first time but did the second, with out changing anything??