Thread: Hacking/Virus Code?

Hacking/Virus Code?

I know that when somebody writes code to create a virus, they have to choose a programming language. Do they choose this programming language based on the fact that it writes more powerful virus's or that it gives the virus an advantage in someway for the computer network it is attacking.

EXTREME NEWBIE QUESTION: When somebody hacks into your computer network system, they are using Unix and programs they written or shared to break in, steal documents (or erase data or something) and than cover their tracks, right?
    Sweet.

No they dont always use linux and they often leave backdoors to get back into your system. There's various ways of breaking and entering a system and there's also a wide variety of ways to cover your tracks, each depending on the attacker. As for the virii, There are virus assembly programs out there which program virii for newbies. An assembler is one of the things that you would need. Many viruses are written in C. A "Virus" is simply a piece of code that makes a system behave anormaly and often dealing damage to that system. A virus can be built to do whatever the builder wants it to do. If you're looking for more information also look up worms and trojans.

cheers

The programming language doesn't matter, and the virus is only as good as the coding. Is one PL better for writing virii? Maybe, maybe not. It's a personal choice I would say.

No, they aren't necessarily using unix or any particular OS.

It needs to be said that hacking, virus writing, or any other computer penetration techniques are not cut and dry. Your questions tend to have the form, "if this, then this happens or has to happen" and this is not necessarily true. Keep an open mind and learn from what you see. The moment you think someone hacked into your system using Unix, you'll be disappointed to find out they used a window 3.1 pc in the back of a library somewhere in la la land.
    - Boyam

I know that when somebody writes code to create a virus, they have to choose a programming language.
    yep to an extent but largely a personal choice. some like assembly others C or any other . the affectiness of the virus definatly depends on the code. Assembly is good fo creating virus very smalls in size that can be very crutial at times.

When somebody hacks into your computer network system, they are using Unix and programs they written or shared to break in, steal documents (or erase data or something) and than cover their tracks, right?
    any OS can be used
    they might steal or destroy and they might not .some hackers break in for fun and might not destroy anything . and some go crazzzy. and generally when getting out they cover their tracks i,nstall a backdoor or create a user account on the machine to get in easily again

i think u should read this altvirus.faq

Like w0lverine said ASM is used because of its compactness, if you compare a hello world program written in C and then one writen in ASM you will see that the size of the ASM program can be many many times smaller than the C equivilant

you have used the word hacker in your post to discribe malicous intent, I and quite a few other prefer to use the term "cracker". Cracking involves breaking into a system with the ambition of destroying and stealing for criminal purposes. Hacking can be used to describe a variety of things and should be refered to a computer expert with a good understanding or networks and computer programming, although it can be applied to electronics, carpentry.....

if the cracker who is doing the breaking in is knowlegable enough they can use what ever computer they like, for example there are some people out there that use amiga's (dont ask me why!) if the computer can be programmed then applications and tools can be created to enable the person to "hack" from any box.

covering tracks can be done by erasing (pretty obvious to spot when this has occured!) or by alter log files with fake data

i2c

you have used the word hacker in your post to discribe malicous intent, I and quite a few other prefer to use the term "cracker".
    couldnt agree with u more . i started a thread in cosmo it u read it u will know
    few other prefer to use the term "
    alot of peorle describe hacking a positive activity a hackers as the good guys. i always feel that hackers and the word "haker" has been a bad name by the media.

Hacker is a term used by some to mean "a clever programmer" and by others, especially journalists or their editors, to mean "someone who tries to break into computer systems."
    1) Eric Raymond, compiler of The New Hacker's Dictionary, defines a hacker as a clever programmer. A "good hack" is a clever solution to a programming problem and "hacking" is the act of doing it. Raymond lists five possible characteristics that qualify one as a hacker, which we paraphrase here:

1 person who enjoys learning details of a programming language or system
    2 person who enjoys actually doing the programming rather than just theorizing about it
    3 person capable of appreciating someone else's hacking
    4 person who picks up programming quickly
    person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, as in "Unix hacker"
    Raymond deprecates the use of this term for someone who attempts to crack someone else's system or otherwise uses programming or expert knowledge to act maliciously. He prefers the term cracker for this meaning.
    2) Journalists or their editors almost universally use hacker to mean someone who attempts to break into computer systems. Typically, this kind of hacker would be a proficient programmer or engineer with sufficient technical knowledge to understand the weak points in a security system

Banned
    Originally posted here by swarisd
    The programming language doesn't matter
    Well yes for a true "virus". I mean you can make a overwriter or appending virus in almost anything. You could make a worm copy itself to P2P shares with almost any language. But as for backdoor trojans in languages like VB & (ect)... well thats another story. You'd have to make a dropper or something to drop in the needed files for certian things. Otherwise you'll get runtime errors.

Originally posted here by w0lverine
    i always feel that hackers and the word "haker" has been a bad name by the media.
    Who the hell cares. The word "hacker" its nothing more than a shorter or more interesting way of saying computer enthusiast or just a enthusiast of various sorts and that could be almost anyone. In the end it has no meaning anymore and is just pointless. Whats sad is 99.9% of the self proclaimed "hackers" are just in it because they want to be part of a scene, to look cool, to get their name on something, to hangout with peaple that they feel are "above" themselves, & (ect). Most can't admit it but its true. How is that any better than the bad guys? I mean either way your still lame as hell.

I also find it funny that originally the word was mainly used by computer illiterates to complement the computer litterate... yet now everyone feels the need to pompusly use the word on themselves. The whole thing is so stupid... its all a big pissing contest.

I'll show you who the real poke'mon master/trainer!
    Hahahaha!