Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open ports

Talking Open ports

I used Mc Affee Firewall plus and recently 'retina' eeye software to scan for vulnerabilities. What i found out was, i have 2 open ports, port 135 for RPC locator and UPnP port 5000. I disabled the services but it's still open... Please help....Mc Affee retina

you could have a look at www.grc.com
    theirs a lot of information on their about those two ports.
    If your running a firewall surly you`ve set it to block all the ports apart from any you might need.

The best you have to do is install another firewall (prefer blackice from www.networkice.com or zonealarm from www.zonelabs.com) and use a program called eStop 3.3. eStop can help you easily manage your ports and terminate any connection.

Legionaire is right when he says that you should install another firewall. Also, check your firewall configuration. If it is set on medium, move it up to high, or low to medium, etc. Check your connection rules too, to make sure you didnt make a rule that allows those connections. If so, just delete the rule and you should be good. The most common reason of open ports with a firewall is a badly (or defaultly) configured firewall.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Talking

Wow!
    I tried every single suggestion u guys gave, starting from 3.3 estop software which was unbelievable. I tried it, though it wasn't successful enough but still thanks to legionaire and slick8790 for that suggestion, it was fabulous, great software. However using eeye retina from eEye digital security vulnerability scanning, those ports were still open.So i tried homenet suggestion, i went to grc.com, only to found out, there's actualy a way to disable UPnp port 5000.It was successful.Homenet thanks to you.However i still have two more ports to go. 135 and 1025.I tried using the firewall already.I have two now.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Link on how to close port 135

Workaround to closing port 1025

Port 1025 is the RPC Task Scheduler Port. IIRC, disabling/stopping task scheduler should stop this service (if you don't need it).

HTH
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Generally the firewalls have options to lock the ports that you want.
    See in the options of your firewall how to lock ports.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Generally the firewalls have options to lock the ports that you want.
    See in the options of your firewall how to lock ports.
    Unless this is a feature of high-end firewalls, AFAIK, firewalls merely block ports. They do not actually shut down the port itself. If you setup your firewall and do a netstat -a you'll probably find those services running. Just because the port is blocked doesn't make it secure. It just adds a blocking feature to it. That could still mean the port (or rather the service on the port) could be maliciously attacked.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I recently had the same problem has you in shutting down port 135, even after disabling every thing that I could think of that would run on that port. I was finally able to shut it down after I found this program at this link, http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/14/5/14-5-83.shtml, I hope this help you.