Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed .. Trojan Startpage Menance

Just like el-half said access is denied because its in use so you also might wanna try ctrl+al del and go under the precess tab and see if you can find the ctrlpan.dll file...if so end its process and delete it manually right away
    peace

You might wanna install these programs as well. Just a few more programs to keep your computer safe and healthy. That's if you dont have them and it is up to you if you want to.
    Browser Hijack Blaster
    Ad-aware Standard Edition
    Spybot - S&D
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Hi Agent steal .. I was unable to download Browser Hijack blaster..... It seems the file was not found on the server.....

Also .. I tried all the suggestions mentioned here.. but I am still unable to get rid of the trojan....

I tried stopping all the relevant processes... But still when I try to delete this file it says access denied as the file may be in use.....

I am not aware of how u boot XP in dos mode.... XP at times is strange.. and i could not find any option to restart in dos mode.....

Also there is no process like ctrlpan.dll

Could someone help me with process to unregister dll files...

I already have

Norton Antivirus 2003
    Ad-aware standrad edition (Free ware)
    Spybot
    Trojan remover.....

I guess Norton is succesful in identifying the trojan but is unable to delete the file.. as the access to file is denied.....

Could someone please help me with a solution to get rid of this annoying trojan.......

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

If u are running Windows (95/98/2000/NT)OS then just boot ur system win98 bootable. goto system32 folder and "del ctrpan.dll". this should do it. try updating ur norton virus def file.

yes good point made by grov almost forgot the regestries if u have a reg cleaner then valent good othervise as grov said u would have to do it manually

groovicus the name is "trojan startpage ". it is a harmless trojan just changes the defaultstart page of ur IE. see the title of the forum man

Trojan.StartPage may present itself as a valid program, and it may be run-time compressed. When this Trojan is run, it changes the registry to set your Internet Explorer home page to a Web site, which the creator of the Trojan chose.

anjali , if you are still having difficulty, (after shutting down system restore), find ctrlpan.dll, rename it to ctrpan.ded. Search the registry for any reference to ctrlpan.dll and delete any reference. Reboot, let us know what happens.

When a .dll is in use, you won't be able to delete it, but I have never once been unable to rename it...that should keep it from running next time you reboot. If you missed any registry keys, it will let you know when you boot up also.

Also, in order to prevent malware that uses .dlls and hooks into the registry, do a search for RegProt...

Sorry about that. This link will work.
    Browser Hijack Blaster

Another thing if Norton is able to detect it but not remove it. Alot of times you should just write the virus name down that Norton says it has detected. And then pay a visit to their website :
    Symantec

Then next you can do a search for the name of the virus and alot of the times they will have manual work arounds for them Hope that helps.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Anj,
    you may also be suffering from TROJ_NORYB.B, which is detected as TROJ SMALL.DB.

From Trend Micro
    "On systems running Windows 2000, XP and NT, it drops the following file, detected as TROJ_SMALL.DB: NETRUN.EXE
    This malware arrives in a 16-bit DOS file format and utilizes a self-extracting and executing UU decoder. "

Check to see if you have NETRUN as one of your running tasks. If so, this is the culprit. You'll have to remove this as well.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I am not aware of how u boot XP in dos mode.... XP at times is strange.. and i could not find any option to restart in dos mode.....
    I think they meant recovery console. Go to your boot menu and you can go to your recovery console. Your going to need your admin password (if you didnt set one or dont remember setting one, its probably the default password)

Shag devil.. I checked the processes there is nothing like netrun.exe process in my task manager...

The list of tasks in my comp are as under......

Nmain.exe
    taskmgr.exe
    obc.exe
    sgbhp.exe
    wmiapsrv.exe
    sgmain.exe
    webshotsTray.exe
    zonealarm.exe
    FreeRam XP Pro 1.40.exe
    CTFMON.exe
    Rundll32.exe
    MSMSGS.exe
    VSMON.exe
    NOPDB.exe
    SMAgent.exe
    QUCIKEN.exe
    NVSVC32.exe
    NProtect.exe
    NAVAPSVC.exe
    MDM.exe
    MWSOEMON.exe
    DAP.exe
    CCEVTMGR.exe
    SPools.exe
    ccapp.exe
    InCd.exe
    Iexplore.exe
    SVCHOST.Exe
    LSASS.exe
    Services.exe
    winlogon.exe
    CRSS.exe
    Explorer.exe
    SMSS.exe
    SYMUNDO.exe
    SYSTEM
    system idle process

need ur help to identify the trojan process.........

Regards

kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****