Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: win XP passwords

there are a few programs that do that.... i had one for a while ( ithink it was called like crossfire or something.... the icon for it was a target) and that worked alright.... but what was your reason for wanting a program like that? over all they aren't really useful unless you are trying to snoop on someone who put in there pass and didn't click o/k.... (which is still generally useless)
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

There is this wonderfull little program called "I forgot" wich will unhide the asterixes.
    It saved me lots of times when the password was still stored but for instance I wanted to do a format and didn't remember those passwords.

well i've been reading this issue & learning about it since a short time ... well what i founded out about SAM & .pws was the same as what was here but i founded out that msn passwords r stored in the registery of the windows instead of the SAM database .. * i'm facing the same prob i was under hacking attacks & i had 2 change my password & secret question many times in one day & son i can't format my pc cuz i don't remember the password of my hotmail account but it's saved in my pc ... i wounder if there's any program that can find stored passwords on my pc or in the registrey .. i actually got some of them but they're demoes i need a full prog ... & i need 2 format cuz i need 2 make space for linux & some other work

The encrypted password is stored in the SAM file located in /SYSTEM_FOLDER/system32/.

To crack that password you can get Knoppix STD and open the SAM cracker.

if the password was in a cookie, wouldnt it be stored in some kind of hash? how would you know when you've found it and how would you go about decrypting it if you could find it? does JtR have a cookie mode or something?