Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weird, spyware?? virus??

As jehnx asked..
    On your S&D, Norton, and Ad-aware, have you done the updates and gotten the very latest definitions?
    If the Spybot S&d isn't scanning for some 11000+ items then you are not even remotely up2date ..

Not saying the info comming from groovicus, Wazz and nihil is not good it bloody excellent.. just it seems the valid question from jehnx was ignored..

cheers

(hmm I may be in one of my moods..Look Out)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I am posting my hijackthis log file. Spybot, Norton are fully updated.
    Please tell me what to delete.

Thanks

U R infected with trojan.startpage virus... Ur Norton 2003 and above should be able to detect it easily....

Now this is a relatively armless trojan the only problem is that it changes the homepage of IE.. and no matter how many times u reset the homepage it keeps on reverting back to the programmed page.....

Although the trojan uses very good stealth technology to hide itself.... I am atleast still unable to delete the virus.. But try installing the SPYWARE GUARD on ur PC.. that will resolve ur homepage problem instantly.......
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

Hi, I cannot see anything obvious in the log, is it still happening?

Remember you need to run CWshredder and the rest with NO Internet Explorer windows open. Make sure that you have the latest version, it changes weekly, because the spyware changes rapidly and becomes more stealthy.

Try http://www.winpatrol .com

Win Patrol ....it shows you startup programs and "IE Helpers" (otherwise known as BHOs) I would be inclined to delete all of them that you are not absolutely certain of. You can always re-install them if something stops working.

Good luck

There's your trojan right there ...close all other browser & explorer windows.....check off:
    R3 - URLSearchHook: ViewSource Class - {6CC1C918-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A} - C:\Documents and Settings\johnny\Application Data\winshow\winshow.dll

click 'fix checked'...then reboot

after restarting...look in C:\Documents and Settings\johnny\Application Data for the winshow folder & delete it.

Fixed it! boardwalk_angel had the solution. Spyware is getting stealthier everyday!

Thanks to all for your help,

J

wow I went through the log file line by line and skipped the entry that boardwalk angel spotted good work.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Johnymier... could u please elobrate a bit on how u got rid of the virus.. as mentioned earlier I am also infected by the same virus but still I am unable to delete the virus.. although I am able to stop the virus from changing the homepage....

I read boardwalks reply... but I was unable to understand the method to get rid of the virus... request you to kindly help me with the same.

It would be great if u could elobrate on how u went abt to get rid of this virus....

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

Okay Okay.. I got it... I need to download hijack this software for the purpose........

Thanks.. I shall try the same and let u know if it works for me......

Bye

Yeah..it's easier to spot stuff if the log is copied & pasted into a reply. that's what you should do.. anjali ......

...probably should start your own thread.too., maybe.....