Thread: Hardware programming

Hardware programming

hmmm... i was wandering what it was called to write programs that interface with hardware. I wanted to interface my own circuts with my computer and it seems the only way to do this would be with software, but what would i search for???
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Drivers. They basically would take operating system or application commands and instruct the hardware based on that. Most drivers for PCs are written in C/C++.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Look at your hardware's assembly programming language. For Intel architecture (and AMD) look at Intel assembler language. This is the category of language just above machine language (010101000011010...). It will allow you to have the most direct control possible over the hardware. If you can interface your circuits with a parallel or serial port then you can use assembly to sent and receive data through the ports.

Also, if I'm not mistaken C also provides some functions that can interface directly with the hardware as well.

Unfortunately I'm not too sure where you can find this information. Maybe some else can help you out with that.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

I just came across this link:
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/pport/...34%2C904%2C905

Basically it is a program that will let you communicate over your parallel port. Hope this helps!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca