Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how to hide a source code

SSJVegeta-Sei: If you mean the site in your profile, I don't mind you disabling right-click because it doesn't work in Mozilla anyway. I can right-click wherever I want (with JavaScript enabled) and as such I can save any image with ease or view any of your HTML.

Of course, since the average moron is probably using Internet Explorer (which your script does work on), I suppose it serves that purpose.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I would like to offer a calmer view on this before it erupts into a flame war.

We must not forget that browsers (except lynx of course) keep everything in a cache. Those images, that html, the cool little flash file, all goes into a cache so it can be displayed. So it doesn't matter, this right click security, why you want to defend against people looking at your HTML, because they get it anyways in their browser cache folder the moment they view it.

I can understand wanting to block your HTML so that others can not steal it, as it is a lot of hardwork and time you put into that creativity. But to that I offer two insights:

1. Let people borrow and steal. They will learn from it regardless, and immitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Be proud of your code, your creation, worrying more about perfecting your own coding technique rather than defending against someone immitating a coding method they admire (yours).

2. Hiding HTML is almost counter productive to the coding community. When someone wants to know how something is done, they look at the source code and either A. copy it, learning it as they edit it, or B. Read it and catch on immediatally.

So, to the community it may be better to simply allow others to understand how you did your site. google.com, microsoft.com, gentoo.org, etc etc... These are very large scale sites that allow you to rightclick and view HTML, because they are not worried about someone taking their look or code. It benifits all, and thus we rejoice

@Pooh - Ah, but then I could make a counter-argument that it benefits the community even more to make them learn how to steal it :P

@PWaring - yep, that's the point.

Regards,

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

Teaching them to steal accomplishes nothing in their HTML goals, only to roll their eyes as they once again have to overcome the security measure. That isn't a counter argument, it's a troll. Hiding HTML works against open source, free speech, and newbies willing to learn.

Ok... obviously I have to make a few things clear here.
    Firstly, for someone trying to "keep the peace", you're being very inflammatory.

Second, I wouldn't call it a "troll" - I'd call it a "joke". Perhaps you've heard of them. If not, here's some helpful advice:

Joke - n.
    1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
    3/ An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    Informal.
    Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

Thirdly, overcoming a security measure still teaches important skills, whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not. In fact, perhaps they'll value the code they've "borrowed" a little more if they have to go to more effort to get it.

Fourthly, just like anything else, when I've put effort into a graphic or a piece of programming that makes my site unique, sets it aside from others, and keeps people coming back, I naturally don't want everybody under the known sun to have it. If everybody could paint like Michelangelo, his paintings would be worthless and nobody would care, and more to the point, would not be kept under extreme security.

Fifth, the kind of people that I would be trying to keep out with a code that I up-front ADMITTED is not a serious deterrent to determined people are people with no knowledge, surfing the internet, trying to steal things only for their own gain. If someone asks me to use my code or my pictures, I'm probably happy to let them do it - but the idea of politeness, I.E. asking to use something, applies even over the internet! Yes, the net works just like the REAL WORLD! Imagine that.

Sixth, and final: You're acting like yours is the only opinion that matters. Try to bring both sides of the matter into consideration instead of trying to shut down entirely the viewpoint you don't agree with. This should be an intelligent debate, not a back and forth of "I'm right, and nobody better argue".

I hope this enlightens you as to the meaning behind my posts somewhat.

Regards,

SSJVegeta-Sei

P.S. If, as your name suggests, you are aware of the teachings of the great Sun-Tzu, I suggest you consider applying his words to your posts a little more.

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.

My apologies for having sounded harsh, when it was not meant to be. Perhaps this can clear things up between us

Originally posted here by SSJVegeta-Sei
    [B]Ok... obviously I have to make a few things clear here.
    Firstly, for someone trying to "keep the peace", you're being very inflammatory.
    My apologies, as I said above, it was not meant to come off as such.

Second, I wouldn't call it a "troll" - I'd call it a "joke". Perhaps you've heard of them. If not, here's some helpful advice:
    There was no way for me to understand you had meant it as a joke, especially with it following a :P Please, in the future consider that others may not catch on to it as a joke, and thus it may require something to help others recognize it.

Thirdly, overcoming a security measure still teaches important skills, whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not. In fact, perhaps they'll value the code they've "borrowed" a little more if they have to go to more effort to get it.
    I agree whoeheartedly, and see your point.

Fourthly, just like anything else, when I've put effort into a graphic or a piece of programming that makes my site unique, sets it aside from others, and keeps people coming back, I naturally don't want everybody under the known sun to have it. If everybody could paint like Michelangelo, his paintings would be worthless and nobody would care, and more to the point, would not be kept under extreme security.
    The paintings of Michelangelo are well guarded yes, but that does not mean his techs and methods are hidden. Copies of his work are worldwide because we allow people to see his paintings up close. Students study his artform around the world in colleges because we allow his styles to be taught. I understand wanting to protect something you have worked on. My origonal post already covers this quote further.

Fifth, the kind of people that I would be trying to keep out with a code that I up-front ADMITTED is not a serious deterrent to determined people are people with no knowledge, surfing the internet, trying to steal things only for their own gain. If someone asks me to use my code or my pictures, I'm probably happy to let them do it - but the idea of politeness, I.E. asking to use something, applies even over the internet! Yes, the net works just like the REAL WORLD! Imagine that.
    Please, no need to get cocky and sarcastic. I can also understand wanting to protect it from kiddies. But what harm can it possibley do? Those who matter in your life will know it is yours, and those who copy it without knowledge will be uncovered, just like in the real world. This isn't just opinion, but experience.

Sixth, and final: You're acting like yours is the only opinion that matters. Try to bring both sides of the matter into consideration instead of trying to shut down entirely the viewpoint you don't agree with. This should be an intelligent debate, not a back and forth of "I'm right, and nobody better argue".
    I am afraid you are taking this far more extreme than it was ever meant to be. My opinion shows both sides, the reasons to guard the code and reasons to not guard the code. My final viewpoint was the consequences of both sides, and which consequence outweight the other. My opinion is no better nor worse, and I fail to see how you took it beyond that. No need to attack and search for things where I *may* sound forceful.

P.S. If, as your name suggests, you are aware of the teachings of the great Sun-Tzu, I suggest you consider applying his words to your posts a little more.
    This was quite unnessessary, and a personal insult. Please, remember that we can talk civil without insulting one another. I know his words well, and practice them just as well.

Thank you for this discussion, but it seems you have taken my words and thrown them into a much more darker view than what was written. Take care, and I hope we can reconcile as friends later on.

I offer my apologies. The comment about Sun-Tzu was not meant to be insulting, but I can see why you felt it so and I apologize for that.

I can see both sides of this situation, and there is merit in both.

I humbly set my pride aside to offer peace.

Regards,

SSJVegeta-Sei

Thank you and I agree, and I too shall set aside my pride for peace. It is because of the kindness in people like you that I an enjoying my time, however new, here.

Thank you all

Use ASP,or ASP.NET.
    Good !
    Hello, I\'m a chinese.