Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ctrl+c vulnerablility at startup

This could be a better feature if the keys were editable by the Admin. For example having the option to change Ctrl+C into for example Ctrl+Alt+D this way it would be more difficult for anyone even with physical access to guess what the key combination is.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I think most recent 2600 had something on let me go dig it up

OPFW

The Control C has been around for quite a while and even works on OS X 10.2.8 also. It will even work on a laptop that has a usb keyboard plugged in to it. Control C will actually break in on the the startup process and is not exactly the same as Single Users mode (Control S).

The only "real" protection against this is to enable a Open Firmware password on the affected mac.

Here's a nice article that will tell you how to do it: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...re_tibook.html

Updating to OS X 10.3.x is a way better soultion and is not affected by this "bug"

Ohh and one more note: Even the OPFW password is bypassable if you have physcial access to the inside of the computer. Just pull or add a RAM chip, startup and zap PRAM 3 times and presto - Instant Bypass Acess!!!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hardening Your Mac
    http://hardmac.blog-city.com/

I know this topic is a little old, but for those of your who want to know how to prevent this problem, edit /etc/ttys and change anything that says secure to insecure. Reboot and check it out. Even if you have the root password, you won't be able to login since the passwords are shadowed (which I found interesting, not the shadowing bit but the system not being able to access the shadowed passwords).