Thread: Shifting to Linux

Shifting to Linux

When I get back to Canada in April, I will be installing SuSE 9.1 on my system. It currently has Windows 98SE with 15 Gigs, 128 mgs ram, 600 MHz Intel Celeron Processor. I am thinking of getting some upgrades. I am thinking of getting a new AMD processor, and another internal HDD, on witch I will install Linux. I would like some suggestions on the HDD size, and on which AMD would be the fastest, best for Linux, and most cost effective. If you have any other suggestions on what to upgrade, please tell me.

As for security, is it true that the drive that has Windows on it can be accessed through the other drive with Linux, but not vice versa? And is the firewall that comes with SuSE 9.1 a sufficent enough firewall?

Thanks in advance,
    -Julien

If you currently have a celeron processor, you will be unable to put a AMD in there without upgrading the motherboard.

If you do upgrade the motherboard and use AMD I would suggest at least a Athlon 1800, but it depends on what you are wanting to do with it.

As far as Hard drive size, what do you want to do with the computer? File server? Editing?
    I think a 40-60GB would be a good median.
    I would upgrade your ram to 256MB at least also.

It might be just as cheap to build a new box? somewhere around $350-450 would get you new one with a AMD processor. If you need prices on new boxes that you can build, let me know and I'll looks though some prices and see whats the cheapest.

As far as firewalls, if you know how to configure IP tables and what not that can make your box pretty secure. If you search google, I believe you'll find sample IP tables that you can use.
    =

Suse 9 is really easy to setup. It comes default with the Yast Modules (In KDE) that make it easy to configure the firewall and open/close ports. (All ports closed by default, but make sure to run the update at the end of the setup to update everything - with no reboots) It runs pretty nicely on my 1.3 Ghz Athlon, but I would recommend you do as cheyenne1212 says and get at least an AMD 1800 processor or better. http://www.pricewatch.com/ is a good site to look for parts and or systems in any price range. If your going to buy a new system, make sure to get DDR ram and a 7200 RPM hard drive.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Yes, you can mount FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions under Linux, however Windows will not recognize any of the more common Linux filesystems.

If you want to be able to write to a Windows volume, make it FAT32. Write support for NTFS volumes is not supported under the current 2.4.x kernel, and FAT partitions are too limited in size. It is possible to recompile the kernel with NTFS write support, however be warned that you *will* fubar your drive if do. (I tried it. It destroyed the MFT.)

If you are planning to multiboot, create a FAT32 partition common to Windows and Linux. I imagine SuSE will automatically make that partition available to you during the install process. It works pretty well. I even have Netscape and Mozilla running off a common shared profile between Slackware in W2K.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll get a new AMD compatible motherboard. Is there any way to use two motherboards in the same computer? Or is there a better way? As for HDD, I'm buying a new internal one, probably around 60 gigs, and maybe, lateron when I get more money, a RAM upgrade. Any suggestions?d

You cannot use two motherboards in the same case, and besides, why would you want to? At the moment I think apart from the motherboard & processor upgrade, the upgrade of RAM is more important than the new HDD, Although I don't know what you would be using your box for..

well, im running RedHat9 on an AMD Duron 1400 with ATI radeon 7000, 256MB RAM, and 80GB hard disk

And it runs really good.

I think that if you want to use Linux for just normal things, like making documents, playing the simple games that come with it, browse the internet and chat with others, then i think you got enough with a 10GB disk.

my instalation is using 4GB, and I already installed some extra games (CS, Q3A, JK2)

However, if you gonna use it for total use, including watching movies, playing music, then I think there can never be enough.

Like i said im running with 80GB, and still got lots of free space.
    http://members.home.nl/mcvay/mcvay_chobits_sig.jpg
    Im so good in bed, i moan my own name!

Originally posted here by dobo
    You cannot use two motherboards in the same case, and besides, why would you want to? At the moment I think apart from the motherboard & processor upgrade, the upgrade of RAM is more important than the new HDD, Although I don't know what you would be using your box for..
    Its never impossible... This guy has done it bascially. YOu could put all of that into a tall case...

http://www.overclockers.com/articles613/
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)