Thread: PS3 100X faster than 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 CPU! !?

PS3 100X faster than 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 CPU! !?

http://gamespy.com/hardware/january03/playstation3/
    3rd paragraph
    Man i was amazed when i saw this. This sounds amazing but they havent even made the prototype yet so i think they will change their mind around or somethin. Read the whole article then tell me wat you guys think about. Gamefaqs havin a huge discussion on this topic too

Just as a heads up, overall, it won't be anywhere near 100x faster than a 2.5GHz P4. At certain optimized operations, a P4 will have a decided advantage because it can take much more complicated operations and do them in one cycle, whereas other processors would require dozens if not hundreds of cycles to do the same operations. For a gaming console, it is an intriguing concept, because gaming is one of those things that makes use of quite a lot of simpler processor functions, primarily Math.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Yea it also says there will be 16 cores in the chips so different operations will be assigned to different chips like a chip for sound one for graphics stuff like that.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Console will always be ahead of Computer. They don't need realy backward compatibility. They use the lastest 64 bits or 128 bits processor, they can build everything from the lastest technology while in computer, it's take a while to move from a technology to the next one, (Exemple, 64 bits computer are still not mainstream while 64 console are 2-3 years old)
    -Simon \"SDK\"