Thread: Making my LAN work

Question Making my LAN work

I have set up a small home LAN, currently I am trying to set up three of my five I have got the NIC's in and all running through a 10 port hub currently.with the standard 10baseT cables.The operating systems are as follows:One is running freeBSD with KDE, the next runs Windows 2000 Pro, and the other runs XP pro. My problem is that I have not been able to configure them properly I am rather new to having a home LAN set up, although I have read myself to sleep over the years it has been sometime since I have had a computer. When I turn on all lights are green all cards check out but when i search for computers on my system, nothing. I even replaced the hub, downloaded lanmanager and only the comp I downloaded it to shows up. What am I missing Any advice on how I can get these three talking. I set them up for the soul purpose of testing the operating systems security (legal hack) but so far they just sit here running their screen savers, although they look kewl Any suggestions please email me regm1979@yahoo.com

You didn't really give enough information there but...
    If the hub isn't a DHCP server you will need to make sure your computers know they on the same network. Start with the Windows boxes. Do they both have the same Workgroup? Open DOS boxes and run <ipconfig>. Do they have valid IP addresses? From the same domain?

That might get you started in the right direction.

WEP?

running any security between them? if so make sure the WEP keys r the same. See if you have a valid ip like jimcanaday said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

cypherdias

Green light go!! Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 on all the machines and give them all unique IP addresses like 192.168.1.100 . . . 192.168.1.102 for the three machines. Share out the drives on Win by right clicking and selecting sharing. . .to share b/w *nix and Win your best bet, IMO, is by using a Samba server on the Win machines and the 'client' on the BSD box. Google Samba or smbf, you should find quite a bit.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Exclamation Whoa!

Well replys are fast on here...........
    The only prob is I cannot find anything to let me enter subnet mask or the ip's themselves I get pushed around by the wizard and it just goes off, where do I go to access the subnet mask and ip control panel???? Thank you all for the help by the way

For Windows XP and 2000

Start--Control Panel--Network Connections

Once you open up network connections, find your LAN connection right click it then select properties.

Once the properties is opened up select tcp/ip and hit the properties button.

From there you can specify a IP address and subnet mask.

Like bludgeon said assign them from say 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.50 or however many you need. Then assign the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Also make sure you computers are in the same workgroup. Do this my going to start--then right click my computer and select properties, then select the computer name tab.

Make sure they all say the same thing under workgroup name.

One quick question Do you have Teamspeak or some other voice program? Just wondering cause if you do, I would be able to talk you through it which would be faster.
    =

If your on XP I know the workgroup is default to Mshome, I don't know about 2000 though. . .also cypherdias brought up a wondering point, are you running any kind of firewall on the machines, if you are, you will need to add them to the list of trusted IP's on your f/w.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Almost forgot about that bludgeon

If there is a firewall in place it will stop you from seeing your computers.
    =

UPDATE!

Thanx to your help they are shaking hands, well the unix machine is being stubborn but the win boxes acknowledge each other and I have already broke into them and made some changes to prevent my ease of entry into my system, thanx to you all especially my boy down south. Now on to how to get the unix machine in the works, I was able to set its ip and subnet mask but I dunno if it is gonna fly, hope so it is my favorite, anyway thank you all again

What fixed it?

If you need help witht he *nix box let us know
    =