Sans Top 20 2003

Thread: Sans Top 20 2003

Sans Top 20 2003

I did a search of the past week and was surprised I didn’t fine this here.i always see this here first. Well I used too.

This is a list of the most commom vulns from last year, what their about and what you can do to defend against them. It’s really quit a good read

This updated SANS Top Twenty is actually two Top Ten lists: the ten most commonly exploited vulnerable services in Windows and the ten most commonly exploited vulnerable services in UNIX and Linux.

The Top Twenty is a consensus list of vulnerabilities that require immediate remediation. It is the result of a process that brought together dozens of leading security experts. They come from the most security-conscious federal agencies in the US, UK and Singapore; the leading security software vendors and consulting firms; the top university-based security programs; many other user organizations; and the SANS Institute.

· W1 Internet Information Services (IIS)

· W2 Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL)

· W3 Windows Authentication

· W4 Internet Explorer (IE)

· W5 Windows Remote Access Services

· W6 Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)

· W7 Windows Scripting Host (WSH)

· W8 Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express

· W9 Windows Peer to Peer File Sharing (P2P)

· W10 Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Top Vulnerabilities to UNIX Systems

· U1 BIND Domain Name System

· U2 Remote Procedure Calls (RPC)

· U3 Apache Web Server

· U4 General UNIX Authentication Accounts with No Passwords or Weak Passwords

· U5 Clear Text Services

· U6 Sendmail

· U7 Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

· U8 Secure Shell (SSH)

· U9 Misconfiguration of Enterprise Services NIS/NFS

· U10 Open Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

The SANS Top Twenty is a living document. It includes step-by-step instructions and pointers to additional information useful for correcting the security flaws.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

That's a lot of reading.. knowing me, I'll probably put it off for weeks or months..

but thanks for posting it..