Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Secure Linux Server Distrobution

Excuse me for sounding a bit rude, but why is FBSD the *obvious* choice for intels? FreeBSD is the redhat of the BSD distro. It offers a ton of hardwards compatability (but not as much as NetBSD), it offers a handful of security features (but not as much as OpenBSD), and is easier to install. It's a very good choice for people who want BSD, but also want to game. This means giving up stability for speed, and security for convienence. I'm afraid it is not secure enough, at least from my experience, to act as a full time running server. A desktop, yes, but server no.

I'm looking for "secure" and "server" and must be compatible with multiple platforms.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    I'm afraid it is not secure enough, at least from my experience, to act as a full time running server. A desktop, yes, but server no.
    I wonder why alot of ISPs are running FBSD if it's not secure enough?!? Please explain to me why you think it's not secure enough (give me examples!).

I've been using fbsd for years and I never had any security issues with it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Antionline Herpetologist
    What makes FBSD a great choice for servers is that it's super stable.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

By the way, you don't have to set up two partitions or hard drives, Linux and Windows will both read and write to FAT32.

And Have you ever considered Mandrake? It is actually very secure and it comes with some great packaging. Linus himself uses it on his home computer.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

I have never heard anything on Mandrake except for personal preference and most people say to avoid it without giving it any details or information to back it up. Personally, I haven't een tried it, so I don't know anything about it. I use Red Hat & Ice Pack at the moment. Does Mandrake have a Server edition?

Antionline Herpetologist
    There was a discussion on this a while back. While FAT32 mounted as umsdos works fine, it's not a great idea for reasons of speed/performance.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)

Actaully yes! Mandrakesoft has made desktop, server, and even firewall systems (aka a router box). Mandrake has lots of support, it is the second most supported distro in terms of software development, it also works with RPMs and has a feature similar to RedHat's app-get (on Mandrake it is urpmi). Installation is a breeze and it comes with plenty of goodies. Check it out sometime; I really reccommend it to beginners and advanced users alike.

here is a list of all the different products they make:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/range?wslang=en
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Antionline Herpetologist
    AFAIK, apt-get is a Debian feature. RH uses up2date. Also, a bit of trivia, the reason Mandrake is so compatible with RedHat packages is that it was once based on RedHat (upto version 5 or 6, I think).
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

In the preview, on the mandrake website is shows a screenshot of Mandrake Running VMware to host WinXP. Does Mandrake come with VMware built in or do I still have to dish out the $300.00