Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secure Linux Server Distrobution

Actually I really couldn't tell you right now. I will get back to you if I figure out but I am late for class (for the Vmware)

And cgkanchi, my bad. I have been using Knoppix-std on another system (which I reccommend Heavily) and I guess I got confused.

+1 to cgkanchi

(edit)

Hey where did you find that Screenshot, I haven't found it yet.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Antionline Herpetologist
    AFAIK, you have to dish out the moolah.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

If it was part of the package, you could just call me switched.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/92/comparison

Vmware comes with the 9.2 Powerpack and Prosuite

$69 for the Powerpack

$145 for the Prosuite

The difference from the Powerpack and the Prosuite is that the Prosuite comes with the Dedicated Server wizard as well as all the workstation cds and Extras DVD. Check out everything at that link above. I am now seriously considering upgrading from 9.1 by buying that Powerpack.

(edit)

And just for kicks how cool is this?

http://www.mandrakestore.com/mdkinc/...G_=en#GOTO_367

Yes they even sell a Bootable Mandrake (A.K.A cd only). It is expensive but it comes with a usb key. And if you don't want that then you can buy it for $19 or just download it.

In my opinion, Mandrake now has the most complete Linux Distro line out there:

Server
    Workstation
    Boot only Cd Distro
    Firewall
    Clustering OS
    -Walt Whitman-

I enjoy working in Gnome, with Evolution (Mail), Mozilla (Browser), GAIM (Messanger), OpenOffice (Application). I'm not too fond of the freeware base games or a few of the extras the package in. However, I would not mind running VMware to run a few of the games I have and/or to switch into Win2K mode if needed over a friends house for Counter-Strike or to plug in my US Robotics Wireless Card that does not have *nix drivers.

Another option I would like would be to setup a home network that would be compatible to this system and allow me to have a wide variety of Security Enhancements.

I have found these features to be provided under RedHat, but with support going. How long should I keep it?

What would you suggest as an alternative? The games I play are Counter-Strike, Warlords Battlecry II, Rise of Nations, Magic The Gathering Online, and a few others.

winex from transgaming..

I got a lot of games running fine on that..

VMware does not support DirectX afaik..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Use wine and go here to see how to make each game work individually. There is a great forum where prople post problems and solutions to just about every piece of software on Windows. It is most def worth a look. Helped me get Photoshop Running on Linux!

http://appdb.winehq.com/appbrowse.ph...fd6f338cc8b79b
    -Walt Whitman-

I am a subscriber and active payer to WineX, as well as having preformed a lot of game testing for them. I've only come across a few games WineX could not run, but the list it can run is amazing. Since it is meant for DX 8 and 9 handling, it's built for gaming. I've used normal wine and since it isn't dx based on a primary factor... you can tell the effects and horrors of it on fps games. Not that I don't respect wine for its normal application use, but each tool must be used in its appropriate manner.

http://www.transgaming.com

For security it is SELinux - which you can install from Fedora Core 2 by typing selinux at the install prompt. However, it is NOT easy. As you go through the install you will be presented with the option of how strong you want your system to be. I suggest you let it complain but not be enforcing. It took me 3 days to get named running.