Thread: Sun Cobalt Servers -> Intel

Sun Cobalt Servers -> Intel

I'm looking at buying a few small 1u sun cobalt servers.
    I know they aren't intel based, they have their own motherboards, etc.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to gut them and stick intel inside??
    Ex, ATX motherboard, or a baby at motherboard w/ 1u fan, etc.--

Thanks in advance--

Um, why in gods name would you spend the money to get sun hardware and then gut it?

What are you trying to do? Sun has some servers, LX50's, that are already Intel based...what are your requirements?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I know nothing about the cobalt servers other that many people turning them to linux boxes. You want intel. Here is a sight with 1u boxes. Either way, if your getting the cabalts super cheap you can get IO shield here and cut them to fit intel boards if that is the route that is necessary.

http://www.acme-technology.co.uk/rack_mount.htm

Just pointing alternatives if needed.

/edit "why in gods name would you spend the money to get sun hardware and then gut it" Yeah? True why?

I'm looking for nice 1U cases that are only 14" deep.
    A guy has the sun cobalts going all day on ebay for $139
    I'd like to gut them, stick intel based equip inside, then load linux on them-

Ebay

Dude some of those are preconfigured and already have Linux, Apache etc. on them. No need to do intel. Get the ones with Linux on them (same price) and just plug it in. Or just buy them and load linux on it.