Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network/Microsoft Help

Network/Microsoft Help

Alright folks, I really hope some people can help me.

This is a rather newbie type question but I am hoping some people can enlighten me.

Alright I am trying to pull a network together to make it secure and unable to be internally hacked. I do not have it hooked up to any internet, it is strict inter-office network. I have two server both running 2000 advanced (may upgrade one to 2003) one of these computer is running our database program. While the other one is strictly going to be the "admin" computer for adding users/managing files and such. Both these computers have removables drives also. I am not running any software besides regular Windows 2000 advanced server. For all my client PC's I am running M$ 2000 across the board.

1 ? - Should I give all my client Pc's different Ip's or is that not really necessary?
    2 ? - How would I go about locking client's terminals such as their control panel games and such, so that they are only allowed to look at what I want them to?
    3 ? - How can I make every computer log on to the network using different usernames and passwords without having to install all the names and password on each individual computer but still be able to access the network by using any username/password on any machine in the network?
    4 ? - What is a good reporting tool/program or software firewall for an internal network.

Ps. Don't think I am just coming and trying to post I have been reading a ****-load of material please help though.

Thanks,

Adiz

Just Another Geek

Re: Network/Microsoft Help

Originally posted here by adiz
    1 ? - Should I give all my client Pc's different Ip's or is that not really necessary?
    You must or else it will not work (you'll get ip address conflicts).

2 ? - How would I go about locking client's terminals such as their control panel games and such, so that they are only allowed to look at what I want them to?
    Create ordinairy user accounts (no admin rights) and use the policy editor to restrict what you want.

3 ? - How can I make every computer log on to the network using different usernames and passwords without having to install all the names and password on each individual computer but still be able to access the network by using any username/password on any machine in the network?
    Setup a domain.

4 ? - What is a good reporting tool/program or software firewall for an internal network.
    Depends on what you really want (expect). There are several options.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sir Dice - Thanks, I know these are dumb questions but that never stopped me from asking before....

Adiz

Just Another Geek
    Someone once said: "A wise person learns more from asking a stupid question then a stupid person learns from a wise answer"
    Oliver's Law:

AO French Antique News Whore
    Like SirDice said, set up a domain will help you a lot!!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Nice

What other programs would you suggest I use?

Adiz

Just Another Geek
    Well since you're working on a company network and some machines have removable media I would suggest installing atleast a good virusscanner on every machine on the network. You should prefer one that allows you to update/configure from a central machine.
    Oliver's Law:

Is there a way I could set up a virus scanner on the server and have all the other machines pull the application and updates from the server? Or will that compromise the server to much?

Adiz

you can setup a central server to install the a/v apps and definition updates from and have them pushed down to your clients at a schedule you determine. symantec makes a nice solution for that scenario.
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

If you setup a domain with a DHCP/DNS server running then it isn't really neccesary but if talking about a smaller (under 100 systems) I would still recommend it for reporting/accountability.

SirDice had it right - setup restricted users and use policy editor.

Again like SirDice said setup a domain. I'd suggest you setup your 2000adv server that is NOT running your database application as the primary domain controller so that it continues to be your primary place to setup users/passwords etc...

- Intellimax makes some good network reporting tools, TrafficMax or LanTrend for example offer alot of good stuff. (These are just a couple of the choices, I'm sure people here can suggest many others)

- As far as software firewalls, ZoneAlarm makes a pretty good one also Sysgate does - both of which work well as a software solulotion (There are many others as I'm sure some people here can tell you of)

- And like SirDice suggested, I'd definiatly add a virus scanner solution. Both Symantec and PandaSoftware offer good enterprise solutions

Anyway, theres my 2 cents...

RRP