Thread: Tenable Newt

Tenable Newt

I was doing some searching and I came across this tool called Tenable it offers the power of the Nessus vulnerability scanner for the Windows Operating system.
    ***there is a 30-day trial for NeWT ***
    You can download it from here http://www.tenablesecurity.com/newt.html

It pretty much is a port of Nessus to windows, with a marketing twist to make money.

Also that 30day eval will only let you scan interanal subnets.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche

True it is a way to make money but it is useful for those people who want something new to toy with for a period of time and who are new to security scanners that don't use or run Unix like O.S's

I recently acquired a full copy of this off of a P2P network, and I think it's great. It's the first scanner I have ever used but check out an excerpt from a scanlog :
    It was possible to
    crash either the remote host or the firewall
    in between us and the remote host by sending
    an UDP packet of null size going to port 161 (snmp)

note the phrase 'IT WAS POSSABLE'

not a passive scanner obviously. Never used any other products.
    go to www.geocities.com/crackhaiku ! Go to www.distributed.net

Please phssstpok...there really isnt no need to post in old threads...the date is flashing which means its old or problem has been solved, so next time just look at the date

Well since someone posted, anyone have a follow up, is it worth looking at if you already have a nessus server on the internet?

I don't see why he should be negged for bringing up old posts.

1. He is offering his opinion still, which he is entitled to after all on a public forums.

2. He is bringing information *new to others* back to the front line. I in particular was gone during this time period and glad to have seen it.

Don't forget that other's may find year old posts but still wish to put input, as to spur a future discussion within the same thread rather than waste space to create a new one.

Newt is fine if you can`t get nessus to run on Linux, and want to pay for free software...there are various cracks for it floating around as well..although I didn`t say that.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Aright now...lets not neg him to death...he's new. Everyone deserves a chance. I didnt know about newt..so this is useful to me

Newt is fine if you can`t get nessus to run on Linux, and want to pay for free software
    lol it's by the same author as Nessus. I was thinking that; if it had an intuitive interface and a great reporting system it would be worth a look. It's nice to plug in the laptop and show a quick report that looks polished instead of taking time to shut down and boot linux from another PCMCIA drive. Never know when that comes in handy in a telco room talking to a customer. Unfortunately I can't test it. The demo version seems to lock your scans to the internal class c network. Mine doesn't coform to standard adressing because it was originally built a long time ago. So I got stuck scanning my local host. Not bad, I did just learn something about my laptop I need to fix asap since I reloaded the OS 2 days ago.

But windoz = SLOW compared to nessus on linux. Very SLOW. Might be better on a server?