Thread: Win2k on MS Network: Login Question.

Question Win2k on MS Network: Login Question.

Forgive my ignorance...

Here at work the computers are all on a Microsoft network. Most of them are running Win98 or even 95. A few of the new ones are now Win2k. My question is:

How can I make the the Win2k computers come up with just Microsoft's login screen (Name, Pass, and Domain)? As of now only those who have a profile set up are able to logon as where the other computers (With the diff. OS`s) anyone with thier name on the server can.

I tried to word this as good as I can. I hope you all can understand what I am yacking about. Thank you for any help.

You will need to have a Domain Controller to authenticate all machines and users centrally. Then, each machine you wish to have access to domain resources must be joined to the domain with the proper credentials. Once the machine is joined to the domain, the domain will appear in the drop down box from the winlogon screen.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Yup, you have to join the W2K pc's to the domain - from the desktop, Right click My Computer, click the Network Identification tab, click the Properties button. Enter your domain information, hit OK and reboot the pc. Once rebooted, you'll be prompted to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to sign on - username, password, and domain will all be listed..
    - Maverick

Thank you both very much!

Originally posted here by DISLEX
    Thank you both very much!

Did you get it working?

No. I just tried it from one of the Win2kers and:

"Type the name and password of an account with permission to join the domain."

I am logged on as admin (for the comp, not network) and I tried the comp's administrator name a pass. I also tried to use a name and pass the have admin rights on the server. With both I get:

"Network Identification"
    The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "DOMAINnameHERE".
    The sucurity database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relastionship."

I then tried kicking and punching it. That didn't work either...

HELP!

You need a Domain Admin.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You need a Domain Admin.
    Yes, in other words, there is a difference between a local admin account and a domain admin account. Use the admin account that you have setup on your domain controller when you attempt to join the domain from the workstation. When it asks you for credentials in order to join the domain, provide it the domain admin credentials.

Let us know if it still shits in your face after attempting the above advice. Oh and if oyu happen to have an NT4 domain controller and you are attempting to add a w2k box, you might find this link helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=285016

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Once again thank you all for the great help! I got it working and learned something as well.