Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Hacks

as far as i can say, it is the intentions which makes hacking legal or illegal...
    there are sites which help you learn the ways of hacking...
    and it is legal, as far as you are not misusing your knowledge...
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

I agree with a lot of people here that "hacking" has become such a dark term. The media has ruined it's original meaning, which was exploration and extensive knowledge of computers. Everyone views hackers at such horrible people when the true hackers are the ones saving their asses. I hate that the media has spoiled the true essence of a hacker. Too bad we can convince them to switch the word to cracker.
    \"I have not failed. I\'ve just found 10,000 ways that won\'t work.\" - Albert Einstein

[quote]
    One case a hacker installed trojans on Child p0rn hosters and reported it to the FBI and was given a pat on the back
    [/qoute]
    This is how i think it should be, but i hate the idea that it could be used against you, like being sued for attacking the attacker
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Just a minor curiosity for the person who mentioned white hats, black hats, and grey hats.
    Where does the hacker who penetrates a network for the challenge and then fixes any holes they find fit in? Are they "grey hat" or "white hat"?

Everyone here is confusing hacking with cracking. Cracking is the term for a "black hat hacker" and hacker is a term for a "white hat hacker".

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    IMHO, Cracking is only illegal if you get caught. It is unethical if you get caught or not.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Are the 5 minutes of fun you'll have worth the 5 years with Bubba that you'll earn it you get caught?

Now there's a twist to ponder!

grey hackers are the crackers, who work for a good cause...
    now it depends on the job they did...
    if it is known to the owner/user (against whom it is done), then theres no prob, otherwise... it is a crime..
    hacking not only helps in exploration but also tell us the vulnerabilities... loopholes...

Actually, the word cracker is invented by hackers that didn't want those people to be called hackers. Hacker simply means computer guru.

I hate that the media has spoiled the true essence of a hacker. Too bad we can convince them to switch the word to cracker.
    Who cares, it's just a word, instead of telling someone you are an uber elite hacker you now tell them you are an elite computer guru
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

well.. as there is a lot of difference between the intentions of a cracker and hacker.. the good people wanted that the bad people should have another name and given the name CRACKER... but unfortunately hackers are considered bad instead of CRACKERS!! what a tragedy!!

sorry, was just a joke!!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually, I suspect it's the derogatory defination of cracker that makes the media not use that term. That and the fact that hacker sounds sexier.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage