Thread: Mac hack?

Mac hack?

Is it now possible to hack with Macintoshes now that they allow you to use UNIX?

EDIT:

OOPS, I misunderstood your post, the answer to your question Can you use macs to hack, is yes as well. Almost all of the tools standard security tools,(nmap, tcpdump, etc. etc.) will compile and run on OSX, though some of them require a bit of effort to do so. If you want most tools, look for a package called Fink, and Fink Commander to get a gui interface. Fink will download and install many many different open source projects on OS X.

MY First answer(when I misunderstood)
    Actually, If a mac is running OS X, it does not allow you to run unix, you ARE running unix. The answer is yes, of course. OS X is made up of the base system(BSD Based) and then lots of other Open Source apps(similar to the way a linux or BSD system is), such as Apache, OpenLDAP(OSX 10.3), sendmail(or postfix in OSX 10.3), ssh, etc. etc. etc. If there is an exploit for something, these apps are just as vulnerable on OSX as they would be on any other nix, though I suppose the specifics of usefully exploiting a vulnerability may vary from system to system, perhaps someone else could chime in on that. On 10.3(client, I not sure about the server version) these services are turned off by default, and I believe(though one should certainly make sure) that the firewall is on by default(mine are on, but I do not remember if I turned them on or not).

But the bottom line is, YES they are vulnerable to hacking.

yes it is very possible
    and even if can't get an app for os 10 you can use yellow dog

I've got a box running Yellow Dog, it runs nice. I did a little *ahem* improvement to my case.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

looks alot better