Thread: 56k wireless network?

56k wireless network?

I've done some googling but haven't found much. I live out in the country, and only have a 56k line, but I have a Desktop and a laptop with a wireless card. I want to be able to surf the net from my laptop, and was wondering if anyone knew of a wireless router that would support a 56k line?

Also would a wireless router work for letting my laptop connect, or would I need an access point?
    =

huh ? so you can sit outside on the neighbors swing and access the net ?

honestly I don't know.. there probably is a way to do it but I think it'd be cost prohibitive. easier just to run a telephone wire..

if you have money.. why not a satelite dish ?

No no, lol I'm not wanting to get the neighbors connection, just to access my 56k line wirelessly.

We have two phone lines one for internet and the other for talking. I was hoping that there was a router that would let me plug my phone line into it like you can do with a DSL/Cable line.

I guess what I'll do is go ahead and get a wireless router, but just have it function as a switch and not a gateway.

I could get a statelite dish, but it is $70 a month and for gaming, it sucks. Its also to hilly out here to get a Wireless connection.
    =

I found a 56K LAN Modem... No wireless, and only 10mbit (not 10/100mbit). Plus it is a discontinued product and probably isn't worth the $200 other sites were selling it for...

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/p...ems&family=178

I belive I have heard of a 56K Wireless Router or something, but I don't remember which forum it was in... Either AO, [H], or DSLReports... I searched ([H]'s search is disabled) and didn't find them though...

<DO NOT RELY ON ADVICE BELOW>
    It might be cheaper to buy a wireless card for your PC and set it up in Ad-Hoc mode instead of buying an AP, or set up in Infrastructure and finding a way for your Desktop to provide the service to the laptop. To connect, ensure same channel, SSID, etc, and your Desktop computer would need to be connected to the Internet for the laptop to get online. Windows has/had something called Internet Connection sharing (Might still be there somewhere). I have no idea where it stands on a security standpoint, but you could enable that and your laptop could probably get internet access via the Desktop. You'd have to watch out for war drivers though, protect that precious 56k line!
    If you can connect the two computers right now via Ethernet or something and Internet Connection Sharing works, I'd assume it works over Wireless connection also... No gurantees though, I'm not too strong in that subject.
    </ADVICE>

Good luck.

Edit:
    I just reread your last post and realized that you already choose what you are going to do. Good luck in your connectivity - sounds like a good way to solve the problem.