Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best antivirus

The best antivirus

Hey guys what is the best antivirus software for a small to medium sized business to run?
    We have about 25 computers and 1 file server. Our web and e-mail servers are outsourced.
    I would like to be able to scan e-mail for viruses. I would also want the server (RedHat 9) to be able to scan file shares.

Thanks.

I would go with: Symantec AntiVirus v8.1 Small Business Edition Desktop & Server

Details Product Features
    General information
    Marketing information: Symantec AntiVirus small business Edition 8.1 Is a Complete, license-in-A-box Solution that protects Workstations and Network servers with The world's best-selling virus protection. With its unique navex and Digital immune System technologies, it provides fast, reliable, and hands-Free virus detection, analysis, and repairs via an Easy-to-use central management console.
    Delivers immediate protection with a Complete license-in-A-box Solution.
    Protects Workstations and Network servers against viruses, trojan horses, malicious ActiveX code, and Java applets.
    One-Year maintenance agreement provides Technical support and Product updates at NO Additional cost.
    Software information
    Software Type: AntiVirus
    Software name: Symantec AntiVirus V.8.1 small business - Complete Product
    Features & benefits: Key Features:
    Digital immune System automation delivers fast and reliable virus detection, analysis, isolation, and repair
    LiveUpdate automatically delivers New virus definitions
    Exclusive navex technology updates Scanning and virus repair engines
    Compatibility: - Windows
    NetWare
    Distribution Media/method: CD-ROM
    Package Type: (Retail-box)
    license informaton
    license Type: Complete Product
    license pricing: Standard
    license quantity: 5 Users
    Physical characteristics
    Shipping Dimensions: 2.7, (height) x 7.8, (width) x 9.6, (Depth)
    Shipping weight: 1.2 lb
    Miscellaneous
    Additional Info.: The Symantec small business 5-packs Carry a full, Year of Upgrade insurance

This might help you out:

http://www.symantec.com/product/index_smallbiz.html

Cheers,

How about if you just have all the computers download Avast or AVG? My guess is that it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Symantec's.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

well, it may be cheaper, but it breaks their TOS. AVG is free to non-commercial use. Using it at work would make it commercial use.

separate those 2 roles, firewall and virus scanning. IPCOP http://ipcop.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin.../IPCop/WebHome, it's simple to use and provides IDS and logs for your viewing.

Then you'd want to put your symantec AV server on the network where it has access to all the pc's and install the client on all the pc's.. from there you can setup the access scanning, and routine scans on the hdd's and automatic updates.

that help?

does symantec have a good track record? I have been told that there are other solutions that provide much better scanning and detection rates than symantec.

Thanks for the info. this helps.

Have you visited any of the virus vendor websites to see what they offer? It might just be a good idea if you did. Just do a search on Google and see what everyone else has to offer.

That's just my own thoughts ......
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I have been to eTrust, Kapersky, and McAffee. I'm just not finding the info I'm looking for exactly.

Take a look at the symatec website I posted. They have several options for small and large businesses. Sometimes, a Large corporation AV might give you what you need, which a small business one wouldnt carry. Worth investigating all your options before making a decision on this. It will save you further headaches.

Good Luck

does this link work for anyone else?

http://www.symantec.com/smallbiz/sav_sbe_mt/index.html

click on the 25 user license.

thanks.

Message 99998 - To protect ourselves against fraud, we need to set a cookie on your computer. In order to continue your purchase online, please reset your browser to allow cookies. You can make your purchase and then set cookies off again in your browser. If you already allow cookies, there may be a problem that can be corrected by deleting the cookie file. 0SC22

Do you have your browser set to allow cookies? If not, do so. If yes, find where your cookies are located, and delete them. Then try to get back in the site.