Thread: FreeBSD 5.1 - TCPDump Error

FreeBSD 5.1 - TCPDump Error

Today I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.1 Release.

When I try to do a tcpdump, I get the following error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: tcpdump: shared object has no run-time symbol table

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

The install went pretty smoothly except for the Perl-5.6.1.13 package. After the installation completed I went back into sysinstall and the package installed fine.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

I would either cvsup and do a make world ..... or you could probably go to where tcpdump is in the source tree /usr/src/usr.sbin/tcpdump and make install , personally i would cvsup to 5.2rc2 or 5current and build world . 5.X is getting better all the time 5.0 was a nightmare for me, 5.1 was good (i saw the same error you are getting a couple times but with a different binary) 5.2 has been great so far.

Is 5 working for your bridging? , i have looked a little more at bridging and all i can guess is hardware incompatabillity? , and by the lack of response to your thread at bsdforums i would say you definetly are doing things right as someone would have corrected you by now.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Hi Lumpy, I actually got the bridge to finally work today. I tried a few different things. I tried some different network cards, 3Com 3C9 series (specifically recommended on FreeBSD site). I also added the line "gateway_enable="YES" to my rc.conf file. Lastly, I changed the order of the lines in sysctl.conf (though I don't think that made the difference). I did this all after a clean install back to FreeBSD 4.9 Stable. I ran into a few problems with 5.1. They ended up releasing 5.2 like right after I installed 5.1. haha... Figures. I don't have the Firewall setup yet, but that is cake compared to all the trouble this bridge was giving me. IPFW seems pretty simple to add rules to.

Anyway, I'm happy. I got it to work finally after plenty of headache. I documented everything I did as I went along, and I am going to narrow down exactly what caused the bridge to finally work. Plan on writing up a nice little trouble shooting section on all the different things I tried and problems I ran into. Then make a reference / tutorial for myself and anyone else who could use it.

Thanks for your help!
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...