Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sygate problems

sygate problems

Hey guys,

Well I am having a problem with sygate personal firewall. I had been using outpost and Zone Alarm and the one that comes with PC-Cillin. But hadn’t found one that was simple, yet allows you to configure things. Well my problem with sygate is when I install it, it runs fine and is as a program close to what I was wanting, but when I reset my computer windows begins to load and as close as I can tell when it loads the network drivers it reboots the machine. I could be wrong with the network assumption. but I have used msconfig, to turn off all other loading programs but sygate, I also went and turn off services that weren’t windows related, and it still reboots. Once I turn sygate off as a service it runs fine. When everything but sygate is off it seems to hang right when windows is loading the network icon in the systray. I searched around the net and found other people with similar problems, but no one I found had any clues. And since I couldn’t find a thread on here I decided to add one….well thanks for you time. I am going to put basic info about my machine below just let me know if you want more.

AMD 2800
    1gig ram
    winxp pro
    pccillin 2002
    sygate 5.5
    3com etherlink XL (3C905B-TX)
    Ruffasdagut

I use Sygate Pro and have never had the problem you describe but, as you mentioned, read that others report problems. I had a problem with antivirus downloads. It blocked them and I couldn't find the reason. What I did was disable Sygate, start the av download, and then while it was in operation activated Sygate. It asked if I wanted to allow the program etc. I clicked yes and haven't had that trouble since. Have you tried disabling Sygate, setting it not to load when you boot, then after everything is loaded enable it and see if it asks? If it does and you click yes and check the don't ask again, it should make a rule and resolve that conflict, whatever it is.

hey

Well I read the people having trouble with av so I turn that all off...even uninstalled it and sygate was still doing it. I didnt try stoping and then manually starting I will try that and see what happens.

Sorry forgot to add that I am running the same av on my laptop with sygate and it works fine.
    Ruffasdagut

It could very well be Zone Alarm. I like ZA, but let me tell you , aftewr having it for a year + , and after getting all the setings set up, it was a hassle sometimes to try to go out and do simple things like play oniline games. I was haveing to shut it off sometimes just to be able to do the games. Maybe it has improved now, but what I had to do was uninstall ZoneAlarm before the problems stopped.
    This may not be your problem, but I am just tryin to help. GL

You might like to try booting into safe mode, uninstalling Sygate, then re-installing it. I know that might sound silly but AV and Firewalls can be a "bit funny" over time.

If you give it a second look, it might find its natural place in the boot sequence?

You will have to uninstall in safe mode or it won't work.

My thinking here is that you might have a program clash or "deadly embrace"?

Good luck

Hello

I am a mod for Sygates forums so perhaps I can help

Since you stated you have had previous firewalls on there, you may want to find each firewalls method for a clean uninstall. I know ZA likes to stick around in the registry and cause problems for some.

Also, try disableing driver level protection from the security tab when you boot and make sure your NIC driver is up to date.
    $pak = me;

I had similar problems back when Tiny first came out. I mixed ZA and Tiny and the battle began. Eventually I figured out that I had to pick between the two. But could not mix those two particular firewalls. And as Pak said, ZA was still in the registry even after I thought l uninstalled ZA. I had a registry cleaner that did the trick though. Happy trouble shooting!

Mixing software can be bad. The worst I have seen was a buddy of mine had 2 anti-viruses, 2 firewalls, and 3 differnt registry editors running all at the same time! He had not a clue to why his PC was acting strange. It was a mess, I suggested to him to use only ONE type of software per application. It fixed his possesed PC right away.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

You can't have 2 firewalls running at the same time, although BlackIce seems to cohabit with most firewalls fairly well. The same goes for 2 antivirus programs. That's asking for problems

I tried ZA once a while ago, didn't like it and removed it and all the traces I could find. Sygate is a very good firewall and I think once you get things squared away, you'll be happy with it.

IMHO Agnitum and Black ice do not mix................but I have managed 6 (SIX) AVs together......great fun watching which reacted to what when you stuck an infected floppy in there!!!

Where you get problems with AVs is the interactive scan? now all firewall HAVE to be interactive, so I would suggest that Two (software) firewalls are going to give you more problems than AVs

I can run two AVs easily, so long as I pick ones that work differently.........and I must have about 8 other defensive tools running at the same time, but they all do different things at different times, so I do not get problems.

I would be interested in firewalls that "hunt together" so to speak..........your ideas folks?

Cheers