Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed:The sygate tragedy

Angry Help needed:The sygate tragedy

I tried downloading the Sygate firewall trial. To my surprise, the 30 day expiration message popped up after the reboot. It didnt give me a chance to use it. So I uninstalled it, yet WinPatrol still detects a certain C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE on the startup program. I tried removing and disabling it using WinPatrol but it could not. How could I remove?

If the uninstall program doesn't work, you have to delete the Sygate folder from the Program Files directory, and clear all instances of Sygate from the system registry. In Windows XP, you will also have to disable the services associated with that program (type services.msc in the run box to access the service list). Last, type msconfig in the run box and uncheck the smc.exe entry. Good Luck...
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

You don't say what your OS is, but try booting into safe mode, you should then be able to delete it.

This is a common problem with AV and Firewalls, they have already loaded before you uninstall them, so elements remain because they are in use and the objects are locked.

In safe mode, your normal start up routines are bypassed so you can delete these items

Cheers

Lightbulb

Im a late router running on windows98se..(dont have the cash for a windowsXP upgrade ) Anyway thanks a lot guys..tried the running the safe mode thing ( with a help from a friend) I only have the (very) basic knowledge about PC's.It worked!!!
    I have some question here. Hope you have the patience answering them..

Which firewall would you recommend and why?
    Is it really necessarry to have a firewall and why?
    How does a firewall work?

Ive been security concious ever since worm.sachiel hits my PC's system.

Which firewall would you recommend and why?
    Is it really necessarry to have a firewall and why?
    How does a firewall work?
    http://www.antionline.com/search.php...by=&sortorder=

This is the search results from using the AO search feature...662 threads dealing in one way or another with firewalls. If, when you are done reading those, you still have questions, then fire away.

Thumbs up

thanks. ill try reading them all. (whew!)

Question

finished reading some of the threads but linked me to another query------> softwares such as Anonymizer and similar products...will they affect your browsers speed?

My experience with Anonymizer.com is that it does slow down your browsing just because you are "linking" through another server...sometimes it becomes painfully slow. I suppose it depends on the current traffic load.

Anonymizer proxy software, on the other hand, I have never noticed any slow down.

The big question is why you feel the need to use this type of service. Yes, I understand people want to surf without being tracked. I also realize some people think they can perform "questionable" browsing tactics without being tracked, but that's generally not true. Depending on what you are trying to do, there are different processes for protecting your privacy.

AFAIK, Anonymizer.com doesn't keep records (I don't know for sure)....but that is still no guarantee that you can't be traced.

With proxy software, you still have to go through your ISP..and that can be traced also.

Hi wedjarl,

Welcome to AO, sorry.............forgot my manners, I should have said that several posts ago

I think that you might be suffering from an "information overload"?

For most purposes being "anonymous" is not important, only for more serious usage of the internet. Groovicus (be sure to read his tutorials) and I have particular interests in forensics and data security, which I would suspect from your questions are not really relevant to you

To be "anonymous" is generally not that important, what is important is to be "invisible"

The distinction is that the firewall should "hide" you from bad guys?.....if they do not know that you are there, then it really does not matter WHO you are?..........as far as they are concerned you do not exist.

A good firewall will make you invisible and MUST warn you about any outgoing connection attempts.

As a start I would suggest Zone Alarm (see links on posts on this site), just set it to maximum security..........and have a look at the warning messages...........you will have to leave the instant warning feature off, because you will get too many hits

I personally prefer Agnitum (sorry don't have a link) but the story is the same....it is a jungle out there.

You might give a few more details such as operating systems and type of equipment that you have (make/model/specifications) as this will help people to help you.

Good luck

right..quite suffering from information overload.
    Im more concerned on my PCs security nowadays. I want to know everything about security (as much as i could). Dont want worms and odd dialers to hit my system again. This site helped me a lot. (thanks to all!)