Thread: MS operates on the same level as infomercials

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Angry MS operates on the same level as infomercials

I typically use Unix Tools for Windows in order to do MS security testing. Typically, the tools make up for the lack of tools that windows provides. These tools usually sell for $99 but MS has been pitching them for "free".

I know that many of you must have seen the scammers who appear on infomercials in the middle of the night. These loathesome individuals offer to give your their diet pills, computer training CDs (urgh! The Video Professor), etc.. What is the catch on all of this "free" garbage? All you have to do is pay inflated shipping and handling and the junk is all yours.

Well now our good friends at MS have taken the same "business model" and have decided to use it to "give away" Unix tools for windows 3. Well after you fill out 3 pages of personal information, you come to a screen where you select payment. Wait a minute? I thought this was free? Sure, for $11.95 they will ship you a copy.

What I find extra insulting is that MS distributes *tons* of software over the internet. If they really wanted to give these tools away, they could have easily pointed you to a download area. I can't imagine that the tools would be any larger than a *****ing service pack.

Anyway, if you see the bait floating in the water, don't waste your time like I did. Unix tools 3 for Windows is *NOT* free. It's actually for sale just like the crap on late night TV.

***Rant over***
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Ninja Code Monkey
    I can see having to pay for the media and shipping....but they should give you the ability to download like you said. That is what Sun was doing with their solaris for x86.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    It seems very sneaky to me. MS is the largest software vendor on the planet yet they distribute programs via US mail? Hmmmm. The shipping costs of $11.95 is $2 more than AirBorne Express overnight shipping. You *know* they would send it third class US mail. I wonder where that leftover cash is going? Certainly not back in the shipping box to be returned to me.

Anyway, looks like they are on the scam wagon too.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden