Thread: CD Copy Protection

Post CD Copy Protection

I was fed up of writing programs and then finding them being sold on Ebay.

I did a little research and came up with the following method which seems to stop the CD being copied.

In the zip file which is attatched at the bottom you will find some of the freeware files shipped with a program called copy killer.

Simply put these files in a folder on the disk and Hey Presto the disk can't be copied by Nero etc.

You must write the disk in ISO mode and finalize it (Not Multisession)

Make sure the folder is not one of the live ones containing actual data or programs but create a dummy one which just looks like it should be there.

E.G a setup folder always looks good on the root of a CD.

Alternatively the files can be renamed and scatered in several directories.

The idea is to make them in individual directories which seem to be part of your program or setup file but infact are not required.

Note : Browsing to these folders may also slow the drive down to a halt so I emphasize put them in directories where they are not needed and are unlikely to be browsed.

Post Files

Apologies. Missed files.

did you create these yourself?
    if not have you got the link to some documentation on how they work?

In the zip file which is attatched at the bottom you will find some of the freeware files shipped with a program called copy killer.
    Google it if you like to find out but don't post it here as it kind of defeats the purpose. If you know how something works its easy to by pass.

yea true, sorry bout that, should of thought about that first.
    it sounds like it could come in handy, its just i always like to know how something work before i use it.

Seems to be that when you put these files on the CD they are somehow corrupt. when you try and read them the drive hangs. if you amalgalmate them into your cd structure in directories which look like they belong it would seriously impare someone copying the cd

Its CopyKiller V3.6x acording to the decompiled files.....more info here:

http://www.webstylerzone.com/webe/mo...download&cid=1

I believe this protection can be circumvented by the old felt tip marker trick unfortunately.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Originally posted here by Wazz
    Its CopyKiller V3.6x acording to the decompiled files.....more info here:

http://www.webstylerzone.com/webe/mo...download&cid=1

I believe this protection can be circumvented by the old felt tip marker trick unfortunately.
    This is a bit off the subject of the thread in general, but here is some cool info I found: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=2348

I never knew about that, dont really fancy marking my cd`s with a felt marker though. I can think of safer ways to listen to my cd`s on my computer.

I agree homenet..........that technique is a little extreme to say the least. It just goes to show, it's so easy to emulate any type of disk protection anyway (if one were so inclined to do so). Interesting article DISLEX. I remember when that happened to Sony.....they took a HUGE loss on that one.....DOH!
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey