Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programming for Hacking

Programming for Hacking

Is the only reason to learn how to program is to custom make your own tools for cracking? ecause I was wondering itf it was possible to crack into somebody elses computer only using the os and the internet.

Yes, it is 100% possible to just use the internet and your own OS to break into a network. The means of learning to code compliments hacking in that not only can you code your own quick fixes, but you can better understand how what you are attacking works. By learning programming you can then begin to catch on to what might upset the security of a network before even touching it. And when it comes down to it, writing your own programs and scripts by hand proves to save valuable time when doing security penetration.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles" - Master Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Banned
    Originally posted here by stickmansquark
    Is the only reason to learn how to program is to custom make your own tools for cracking?
    Is trying to look cool or smart infront of a keyboard all day and joining in on this online pissing contest known as "haxwhore'n and crackwhoreing" your only reason for haveing a interest in computers? I've found much better things to program and I have found much better ways to completely waste my time.

Originally posted here by stickmansquark
    ecause I was wondering itf it was possible to crack into somebody elses computer only using the os and the internet.
    Ever heard of social engineering, XSS, or just plain old scripting, abuseing phyisical access to a box, & (ect)? What I've just listed... deppending on the level of stupidity a target has all it takes is your hands, maybe a text editor, a browser, & a few good lies.

Custom User
    I program all the time, and I can't think of one occasion where I've used programming for hacking. (well...that's not quite true). I find programming enjoyable and do it more for fun than for actually trying to make worthwhile programs that do something.

The only time I've really ever made programs for "hacking" (although I'm not sure this was hacking) were some very bad buffer overflow exploits, and if you asked me to do that now, I couldn't. Do you think that windows or linux, mac os, bsd, etc. were actually made for hacking/cracking? Because that's what they are...programs. Someone programmed them. They probably didn't program them to use as hacking tools.

Thus programming is not only used to provide you with hacking tools. (My opinion, anyhow)

ac

Ninja Code Monkey
    I learned to code so that I could get paid.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I've learned programming to both manage my systems & networks and to run security audits...not hacking. It's very handy when you lots of systems and networks to audit.

At one point I thought of learning C/C++ so that I could test the vulnerability exploit code that's published but most often someone (re.; ISS, M$) develops and releases a tool which does this saving me the time.

Eventually I might learn C/C++.

The majority of programming going on in the World is in the development of websites, e-commerce, applications software, and system utilities. Otherwise it is robotics, embedded systems, defence, aerospace and process control.

As Juridian righly says, you get paid for doing this

The first thing you need to learn are operating systems, file systems and databases. If you do not learn these, and are not working in the engineering sector, you are unlikely to be anything more than a code monkey "programming by numbers"? Some business and/or administrative skills are also helpful to enable you to understand user requirements.

Yes you can gain access to a computer using the OS and a network connection. OS + browser is how you surf the web, and that is giving you access to a remote computer (server). Another example is the facility within Win XP to provide remote support to another PC?

There is no point in learning programing to "write your own hacking tools", if you don't have an excellent knowledge of operating systems................they will be useless.

I would guess that for every half-competent "hacker" out there, there are a thousand wannabe script kiddies.............now you don't want to be one of those lamers do you?

Go for the $$$s my friend, you KNOW that makes sense.

Cheers

I went for the money..

Now I have a beatifull wife.. A nice house.. a dog.. and drink overpriced beer every night of the week...

W00000000000T programming ROCKS !!!

h4x0rs suck !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

HELL YEAH U CAN...
    DUDE JUST LOOK UP INFORMATION ON GOOGLE OR YAHOO AND STUFF LIKE THAT....
    HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WRITE ME PM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT...

COULD YOU STOP YELLING ASMIR! MY EARS ARE HURTING! USE YOUR INDOOR VOICE!

But seriously, as many others i learned for the $$$. Nothing serious, maybe $50 for a program or something. But as well, yes you can do it to make your own cracking tools.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller