Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Network Security Issue (Windows Server 2000)

Question Possible Network Security Issue (Windows Server 2000)

I have an interesting problem that I could really use being guided in a direction with. It's somewhat complicated, but I'll do my best to describe it clearly here. Here's the breakdown:

First, we're dealing with a network in which three servers are pertinent to the issue. There's DATASERV, which holds K:, L:, and M: drives that everyone on the network has access to. Access to these drives is through another server called MSERV, so when MSERV is down, no one can access the K:, L:, and M: drives.

The problem we're having is that MSERV keeps shutting itself down. It looks like it may be an issue with the power supply, but we are not yet sure. So this issue is two-prong. First, we're trying to figure out exactly why MSERV is shutting itself down, and second, we're trying to establish a backup server for when it does.

HPSERV is the server that's meant to take over when MSERV goes down so users can still access the three drives. So far, this has been successful with other applications, however, users still cannot access the K,L,M drives when MSERV is down. HPSERV should be adequately taking over in this regard when MSERV goes down, so the question that arises is if there's a security issue we've overlooked that's prventing HPSERV from granting the access to these drives that MSERV would otherwise do.

Did everyone follow that?

So, all I need is a direction to start in, because this is all still very much new to me. Where do I need to look to find out if there's a security policy issue, and what else should I consider? What steps can I take to determine for certain if we are having a power supply problem with MSERV?

what is the operating system???

the OS of these machines would REALLY help
    geez
    pro,server,advanced,sbs,enterprise etc
    do you have all the service packs\hotfixes installed.on all machines..????

How exactly do you access the DATASVR???

through authentication, mapped drives???

Are there any messages in the event log of the machine shutting down?

Possible UPS shutdown??

You might try looking in my subject line for the OS. Just a thought.

I am currently trying to install service packs, but that brings up another interesting problem -- that MSERV keeps shutting itself down before Windows Update completes. As for the others, I'm currently in the process of getting them all updated.

Windows 2000 is a little broad........
    are they actually servers???

Is MServ a domain controller? Because you might have problems connecting to another computer by share names if your DNS server is down. Do you have a backup domain controller? If not you might want to consider making HPSERV a backup domain controller so that when MSERV shuts down, everything goes to the backup system.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Windows 2000 is broad, but Windows Server 2000 is a little more specific. Gotta pay attention to those subject lines. Yes, all three are actually servers.

You access DATASERV through a program called Terminal Services Client, and users access the K,L,M drives by mapping to them.

I've been scanning the event log, but haven't found anything on it shutting down yet. However, when the computer shuts itself down, the past couple of times I've actually had to disconnect and reconnect the power cable twice before it would even come on again.

....and I am not sure this really is a security issue???

One thing is to make sure all "servers" are running at the same service pack level......

When you say shut down....does it just reboot..or turn itself off

I would start disabling all 3rd party services...and see if it happens then.

Get your updates.

Look at the event log to try and determine what is happening before the shutdown occurs.

I had a bad UPS shut down my server a couple of times..was fixed by disabling that service and then replacing the UPS.

As far as the server shutting off I had the same issue and it turn out to be the motherboard.
    The best way to check to see if it's the psu is to switch it out with one you know works. From my experience when a psu goes, its dead and you wouldn't be able to boot up at all.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Mad Beaver

Yes, in fact MSERV and HPSERV are both domain controllers. The idea is for HPSERV to take over as the backup controller when MSERV is down, but that hasn't quite worked yet. When MSERV is down, HPSERV is succesful in part because users can get to DATASERV through Terminal Services Client, but at the same time they can only access K,L,M when MSERV is up -- HPSERV still won't take over with that part yet.

Wow, I'm getting respones faster than I can post replies! Thanks everyone for the input...

All servers may not yet be running on the same service pack, so that's a good issue to bring up. I'm working on getting them all updated.

When it shuts itself down, it shuts down completely, as in even the green light on the back goes off. And like I said above, you actually have to mess around with the power cable until it will even come on again.

Thanks...