Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible Network Security Issue (Windows Server 2000)

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    Wow, I'm getting respones faster than I can post replies! Thanks everyone for the input...

All servers may not yet be running on the same service pack, so that's a good issue to bring up. I'm working on getting them all updated.

When it shuts itself down, it shuts down completely, as in even the green light on the back goes off. And like I said above, you actually have to mess around with the power cable until it will even come on again.

Thanks...
    Sounds like it could be a bad power supply. I have had this happen once or twice on home computers and a new power supply fixed the problem. (I believe the power supply was creating too much heat)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I found this cool little tester for power supplies http://www.directron.com/tester1.html
    Thought you may be interested.
    Mad Beaver

Is MSERV a PDC.... or is the PDC another server ( PDC = Primary Domain Controller )

A couple things, the try adding HPSERV as a second dns server(it is running DNS isnt it, with an active directory integrated zone for the domain name of Active Directory?) for all the client machines, hopefully through dhcp, but anyway.

DNS may be your issue with the authentication

As for the fail over as mapped drives, are you using distributed file system?

I'm actually not sure if it's the PDC or not -- I've just recently been brought on this network so I'm learning crash-course style as I go along (thank goodness for AntiOnline!). However, I do think it is the PDC, nearly certain. How do I check?

The DNS possibility is interesting. What steps would I take to troubleshoot that?

Run srvmgr.exe from run cmd line under this application you should select "View" then select servers, under servers you will see which server is the PDC...it will list as primary, also you should see which is a bdc (backup domain server).
    srvmgr.exe is located under server tools under i386 dir on server cd or resorce cd if it isnt on the main 2000 server..... but it should be so all you need to do is run that from the run line

Okay, MSERVER is the PDC and HPSERV is the BDC then.

Okay guys, they've decided to buy a new server to replace this one. So, now my assignment is to demote MSERVER so that is no longer the PDC. Then I'm supposed to remove it from the network as a controller. How do I do that?

Access to these drives is through another server called MSERV, so when MSERV is down, no one can access the K:, L:, and M: drives.
    Why/how is that? If it is the primary domain controller thats going down it may be as CXGJarrod mentioned a resolution problem. Try setting up the PDC as a Primary WINS server and the BDC as a secondary WINS, so if the PDC goes down the clients can still resolve NetBios shares through the BDC.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

OK, a windows 2000 pdc(bad name for it, as there really isnt a primary / backup with active directory all domain controllers are equal, except for certain limited roles) Runs active directory, in order to remove it,

Have another server running active directory, make sure it is running AD integrated dns for the domain name

on the server you wish to demote, go to start, run

and in the box type

dcpromo

and hit ok. That should bring up the wizard for removing Active Directory and demoting the domain controller, make sure you already have another domain controller in the Domain.

You can add a domain controller to the domain using the dcpromo command as well, on the server you wish to promote.