Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Only 3 M$ patches in 2 mths???

AO French Antique News Whore
    1) Windows 2000 Extended Support will end the 31-Mar-2007. But except that it'll push like they are pushing support for Windows 98 and Windows Nt 4.0.

Note : Difference between Extended Support and Mainstream Support is :
    Mainstream Support : HotFix and new feature
    Extended Support : Hotfix Only.

Source : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=lifecycle
    Source : ;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin

2)
    Unless they continue with the upgrading patches, then it is not supported. Supporting it over the phone does not count
    What do you want to patch on that os? The only bug that pop-up for Windows 98 since 6 months (probably more) are related to IE and IE is still support. All the bug are found in the first years usually.

3) Windows 2000 is 4 years old. True... That mean all the bug have been found. We usually said that after SP1, an OS code is gold. After SP4, it's pretty secure to my eyes and most security gurus I talk with. More that Windows XP right now.. Might not be the case after SP2 for XP but NOW, it's the case.

4) Linux! haha! The cost of buying a new computer with Windows XP is ridiculous compare to the cost of support Linux for end-user. Without forgetting the cost of using 2 version of Office (OpenOffice, M$ Office), etc etc. Red Hat move away from desktop. Linux is good for server for now. That it!

5) You're definitely not in the industries! You don’t have a clue that VP and President don’t invest in IT because the ROI (Return on Investments) cannot be calculate. You have no idea how hard it’s to get to change legacy system for an IT guy! God, I’m stuck using a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation on a 300MHz with 256 MG system!

6)
    up till 2 years ago I was still supporting Lotus 1-2-3 for Dos and Excel2 !!! (Win3.1x)
    I feel good now! I got rid of Windows 95!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Haha...totally totally agree with you SDK....The goverment is a prime example of not staying current. They are in a phase of upgrading and "modernizing" to, get this, M$ 2000. And running Linux, are you kidding me? No way thats gonna happen. They would have to scrap and rewrite all the home grown custom applications that they have now. Some places need to keep older versions of OS's just due to the fact that the Legacy applications can't be rewritten. Plus all of the waivers, testing and politics involved. Not happening anytime soon.....

I know a company that just recently moved their legacy applications off of a DEC Alpha and another that still uses it for a service they provide...talk about an old/unsupported OS!

My company STILL has applications that must be run on W95 and ONLY W95 - ugh.

Like SDK said: upper management (who FUND IT) aren't going to spend $$$$ to upgrade to the latest OS (re.; and replace hw because old wont run it) just because it is NEW and COOL and BETTER.

EDIT:
    By the way, during the M$ technet security bulletin webcast on Wednesday I asked what about the IE vulns, where are the patches and they said they have a patch that is in the final QA stages...that's good news!

I am assuming no one read my entire post reply to what a company should do concerning upgrades across company based machines. Please read it, as it offers a solution and easy base idea for a way to upgrade. Linux, not windows, for companies. The reasons why should be obvious, but most are explained in the ORIGONAL post I made here.

And to be quite blunt, if the cost of teaching the new people the VERY BASICS of using Linux (open office, firebird) costs more than a new computer, then you have bad management techniques. Users in the company don't need to be masters of Linux, just like they don't need to be masters of windows. Teach them only what they need to do their job, and it saves money in the longrun. How do I know? Read slashdot, read CNN. Entire government agencies outside of the US (UK, Iraq, Germany, China, etc) have begun the entire switch already from windows to linux. Their reports show massive amounts of money saved, both for hardware and support training. Do management correct and follow the examples of those higher than your current company, and you won't be spending this absurd amount on linux that you think exists.

Keeping the IT department of a company can be quite simple, at least in my experience and point of view. Just keep the wise quote of Sun Tzu, found in my signature

AO French Antique News Whore
    Linux is NOT a option for desktop users.

1) The GUI suck compare to Windows. (Even Red-Hat understood that and move away from home user distro)

2) Ever want to try to change a OS that everyone is use, understand and love with something new that nobody understand even the IT tech guy? People don't love when you change the stuff that is working and that they liked. They know little stuff but they are proud to know.

3) You have any idea of the cost of intergration?

Like I said, you're not in the industrie, you have 50 dumps user to support, a management who don't want to invest and like I said before, the cost of moving to Linux is way more important and upgrading machine with Windows XP because at the end, you'll have to upgrade your machine even if you run Linux!
    -Simon \"SDK\"