Thread: New.net the hell off my computer

Exclamation New.net the hell off my computer

Just scanned my computer (winXP, MIE6) with hijackthis and it comes up with lots of entries about New.net. Does anyone have any information about what this is, what it does, etc.

hijackthis tells me :

010 - Hijacked Internet access by New.net

and

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup

..... any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks.
    -

Remove O4 and all enteries that have New.net in them and you _should_ be clean...thats what that tool does.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Googled and got this:

NewDotNet

The NewDotNet software is bundled with a browser plug-in DLL newdotnetX_XX.dll (X indicates version numbers). The file is placed in C:\Windows\ or C:\WinNT\ and is run at start-up via Rundll32.exe by a Run key

rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOT~1.DLL,NewDotNetStartUp

which is placed in the Windows registry. The NewDotNet client transmits a unique ID string when checking the New.net server for updates and when checking in with the Firstlook search portal. It promotes New.net's PPC search engine Firstlook.com, by displaying popup ads on a timer.

The program is known to be installed by KaZAa, Earthlink, @Home ComCast, Juno, Webshots, NetZero, AudioGalaxy, Bearshare and a host of other programs and web sites.

Do not delete the DLL, as it tampers with the default Winsock settings and manual removal will damage your Internet access capability. More details on safe removal of this spyware agent can be found at:

http://www.cexx.org/newnet.htm
    http://www.viendez.com/forum.asp?Article=302
    There is an uninstaller and install instructions on the NewDotNet web site. They do not allow (lawyer crazy) anyone to distribute, mirror or link to their web page with the uninstaller. Aren't they the sunshine in your life?

NOTE: the NewDotNet DLL cannot be properly removed by some spyware cleaner versions!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleaning

If you are cleaning your system manually, using some of the tips mentioned above, you do this at your own risk. Editing the Registry without some basic knowledge may result in your computer not starting up anymore. And reinstalling Windows may be the only way back.

Spyware cleaners

Spyware resources

And.doxdesk.com
    Cexx.org
    Possible actions

You may want to take action against any of the above or another (let us know if you found one not listed on this page). The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) handles complaints about deceptive or unfair business practices. To file a complaint, go to the FTC web site, call 1-877-FTC-HELP, or write to: Federal Trade Commission, CRC-240, Washington, D.C. 20580. If your complaint is against a company outside the US, file your complaint at http://www.econsumer.gov/.

You may never see any action as a result of your complaint, but if the stream of complaints keeps on, just maybe some action will be taken to guard us all from this kind of 'attack' on our privacy and our lives.
    Source: http://simplythebest.net/info/spywar...t_spyware.html

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

AO French Antique News Whore
    Download Ad-Ware! This is a very common spyware!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    -Simon \"SDK\"

i agree with SDK i also had the same problem but adware removed it
    Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire