Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Government to Provide AV for Free.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Actually the U.S. government, the Department Of Defense does provide FREE anti-virus software. BUT, it is NOT available to all. It is only available to the military service members or retired personnel that have a AKO account. Another thing is that if you are in the military service, you can ONLY download the software from a .mil network and be able to take it home to use. Here is the link for those that qualify for the FREE software or just curious to know more about it.
    You don't have to download it from a .mil network if you have the DoD PKI root certificates installed in your browser. If you don't have the certificates, just go to the AKO homepage and download them. To get the AV software, just go to the Army Computer Emergency Responce Team Website and use your AKO login.

You can choose between McAfee, Symantec, and TrendMicro in serveral different flavors, from personal to enterprise editions for Win, Mac, or *NIX. DoD CIO approved AV software for unlimited distribution to military personnel on 18DEC2003.

i wonder how many backdoors the gov't...dod or nsa would put in it

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I don't know about symantec or trend, but the McAfee download is just a EULA. The actual software is downloaded direct from McAfee. Symantec is the scanner of choice, though, as DoD has it's own secure LiveUpdate server.