Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to recover a user name & password from win 2k

Originally posted here by Info Tech Geek
    I uses the NT Password & Registry Editor Bootdisk... Look for it.. (Google)
    thats the same thing I posted, in which case, there is no need to google for it?

at least... google gives me the same site... two different names for it?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I am starting to think I am an idito here as I have tried a variation of the ntoffline (EBCD) as well as the ntoffline and I am getting nowhere. With the ntoffline I can't get the image to work right and the EBCD I can get it to go through the motions of selecting and changing and confirming and such, yet when I use the password it never works.

Have bee trying to use the Windows 2000 recovery disk (3) and that is not going anywhere either lol. Any suggestions perhaps ...
    Hello - please send me drink!

Ok, download Cain and put it on a computer you have admin privalages on. Thenb log on to the work computer and go to DOS and go to the winnt directory and type "copy *.pwl A:" . Then bring the disk to the computer with Cain and crack them.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    *.pwl???

Last time I checked, Win2K still used the SAM. Has there been any consideration that perhaps its an ADS issue?

Offline NT Password & Recovery (version that is up-to-date)

Dealing with Domain Controllers Password
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Oops, forgot it was win2k. AFAIK, he still can use cain to crack SAM's.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You are referring to Cain & Abel, the remote password cracker/sniffer?

There is another tool (that costs unfortunately now). That would be L0phtCrack or LC4, which is THE premiere (IMHO) Windows cracking tool. (Not cheap either: $350USD)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I would agree with Msmittens LophtCrack is a very good tool. I have used it fairly often to audit user passwords on our windows Network. True it is a bit expensive but from an enterprise point of view it is well worth the price.
    Here are some which may be usefull to answer:

Is there any way to contact the old network administrator. I dont know the history behind the change but if he left the company on good terms there should be no problem getting all the passwords off him. On the other hand if he left on bad terms you have a potential security time bomb on your hands. I am not trying to sound alarmist but if you are the new network Administrator it is something you should be thinking about, even if it is just from a professional point of view.

I have replaced a former network admin and they locked a whole load of stuff down and regretably did not leave a lot of info behind. So I have a system running Win 2k and it has a general user account that I can use - but it has no admin ability.
    how did they lock down the system.
    1) Does this mean that the computer is not in a domain and it is locked down using local security permissions?
    2) That it is in a domain but the domain admin is not a member of the local administration group?
    3) That it is in a domain but you have not got pass word for the domain administration account?

Another question i would ask is what is the setup of your (mainly because i like to have some idea of the system i am trying to fault find on).? Is the box a windows 2K server or workstation. This has no real impact on your problem. Is the computer attached to a domain or is it independant. This is fairly important as if the machine is part of a domain it brings up a whole lot of other possiable problems (AD, domain GPO's, ect).
    Sorry about the long winded reply (i also have the gift of the gab) but i think if you could answer some of these points it would help in solving the problem.

In anycase good luck in your new position.

As I was reading all these suggestions on how to go about your issue, i kept wondering why no1 has mentioned @stake's L0phtcrack, until Mittens got it . I own an older version of the l0pht and I can by personal experience, strongly recommend it. Being an Admin, you should have the firm you work for invest into buying a license because it will help you significantly in the future. I've made an habit of myself to carry a bunch of network tools with me wherever I go, including Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, AAA Tools *http://www.glocksoft.com*, l0pht, and about a dozen scanners, sniffers, and whatnot. These were easily carried in a USB flashmedia in my keychain, always ready to be used. I would recommend this habit to ANY system administrator to put your most used/important/emergency tools like that. I had a deal with the SYS admin @ the Bank that I worked for to help him out everytime his system was hit by something he couldn't handle. I just like to fix things

Good Luck.

Does the server run Active Directory? You may be in for some additional work if so.

-Maestr0

(Is it a server?)
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

im not an expert or anything, but i had luck booting to a knoppix cd.. pulling the sam to a disk.. run an afs remover and throw it through john ... but thats just me.