Thread: Programming Languages

Question Programming Languages

I've always wanted to learn a programming language but I'm not really that fond of reading and everytime I get started I give up sooner or later. I can't hire a tutor or anything since I'm currently living in a spanish speaking country and I don't want to learn in spanish even though the programming language itself is in english (at least the majority) I will get a lot more out of it in English. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I should learn these languages and which one would you reccomend for someone who is just starting out since there so many right now I don't know which one to start. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I find the best way to learn a programming language is to read. A lot. Whether it is on the net or in books, reading is essential.

As for which language to start out with, I'd say C/C++ or Java. Both are commonly used, but not the easiest to master either. However, if you decide to start with Visual Basic and the like, you will need to 'unlearn' some concepts if you ever decide to learn other languages, as most have a C-like syntax. Also, C/C++ and Java compilers are free to download, and emphasize OOP more than VB.

Do you or anyone else by any chance have any links to some online tutorials because if I read a book (which I do own on C++ & Java) it will be more boring and once I see the size I give up after a while :P
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...B%2B+tutorials

Unfortunately, all the tutorials in the world (or links to them) are going to do you no good if you don't keep at it. Sometimes reading is boring... that's just part of learning. Sometimes you have to reread stuff over and over until you understand it. Again, boring... but necessary.

It isn't like reading a novel where you can just breeze through stuff and expect to understand it.... it just isn't going to happen. So until you can commit to actually sitting down every day and learning, you will continue to be intimidated.

Also, I included the link above as a courtesy... a simple google search will find you all the tutorials you could ever need. I did the one for c++ because you already have a book which should make it a little easier to follow.

groovicus: Ok thanks I think I found a decent site. Do you know any good C++ Editors/Compilers?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Yes I do, but I'll leave it as an exercise for you.

hehe. not fun :P

I use Linux so C/C++ would be my vote.

I would advise that you find your own compiler. It's a learning experience.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Reading can actually be boring at times. But if you really wanna learn reading is essential.

Now as for a programming language humm I would suggest Python. Not as hard a C/C++ to learn.

Here is the link to Python's homepage :
    Python

Give the link a visit if your interested.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

If you don't have any programming experience i'd suggest you start with BASIC, it's a simple language not used much for projects but it's great to learn from. I started in Cobol and moved on to C, i think cobol is dead, but if you master C you'll find other languages similar and easy to learn. Also try picking up one of those beginner books like Sam's Publishing: Absolute Beginner's Guide to C, it will only provide a base to expand off of but it's a good place to start
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers