Thread: User Desktops

User Desktops

Hey everyone, I'm on a network with 2 domain controllers(win2k server), and 20 client computers running (win2kpro)....The users keep on changing the desktop, and I want all the users to have the same desktop and not have them move the icons around. I've tried to do it through AD Default Domain Controller Policy -> User Configuration, but it doesn't seem to work. How can I do this? microsoft technet should have more how-to's?
    Just chill....

You need to use the Group Policy Console. Go to Start and Run and type gpedit.msc. This will open the console. Navigate to Local Computer Policy, User Configuration, Administration Templates, and Desktop. Here you can restrict/enable just about any setting you want. Migrate the settings to all the Workstation boxes and you're in business. Good Luck
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

The users keep on changing the desktop, and I want all the users to have the same desktop and not have them move the icons around
    Why?

Can you deny access to right mouseclick, "run", and control panel?

I have seen software that will "remember" the desktop size and icon positions, and reset them on reboot. Would that solve part of it?

I have always found icons to be strange, certainly on this machine, as they seem to move aroun every now and then, particularly if I have had a problem with windows. The point I am making is that you say they keep changing the desktop............you might get one or two individuals who would do that, but most people will tend to go with what they are given, or make a few changes and then leave it alone?

I am afraid that I don't quite understand the problem?

Cheers

As was said, through group policies, you can disable many desktop modifications, but you can also use "redirected folders" to have the desktop (and start menu if you want) folders be redirected to read-only folders on the server where you can manage the shortcuts (icons) you want to appear on the desktop and start menu.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

The problem is that he wants his lab to look all neat and spiffy. I know that a lab filled with the same desktops looks better than a lap with random cars, chicks, and cartoons on the screens.

And nihil, if you think that most people will just accept what they are given, then you have never set up a network at a high school (lol).
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

nihil: Even if you did deny the right click, the users would still be able to move the icons around and drag them to the trash can, which I don't want them to do.

ammo: I'll try Group Policies tomorrow. Would I have to configure each workstation or just the DC?

Lansing: You're right about the kids.

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply. You guys are great.
    Just chill....

Lansing you are perfectly correct (thank God ) but I have set up applications software training environments.

Certainly you need a "level playing field" for each class of students. We had some code in the logon script that reset the student's profile to the default. Even if they accidentally moved icons, it just brought them back at the next logon. This was NT 4.0, and I know that Win2k and XP have more features, but it did work

We have a slightly different situation over here as our Health and safety at Work regs mean that users have to be able to modify some parts of their work environment such as screen resolution and the like.

I suspected that you might have a "problem situation" which is why I asked about control panel, run, and right mouseclick................my thinking was that if they will bugger around with the desktop, what else might they get up to?

Good luck youngpheelo................I suspect you might need it.

Just Another Geek
    Move your icons to the All Users folder and set some proper ACLs. That will prevent users from removing them.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Alright, I got it, it was through the Group Policies on the DC, and all I had to do was click the users I wanted to configure. Thanks everyone.
    Just chill....