Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mIRC Anonymity

PM8228, I think he might be talking about that nasty thing called "identity theft" i've been to a few isp's and they've asked for stuff all i.d. and unless they trace it through your phoneline which would take forever if you were dialing through several carriers and only had short logins i'm not too sure how traceable it would be...

aaronpsychosis

You are pretty close, there is an identity, but it is not yours it would check out as well. All very illegal, so I do not want to go into details but it can be done with varying degrees of complexity.

Cheers

unless they started video recording people walking into isp shops or outlawing prepaid internet they're gonna continue to have a problem

hmm what would be more anonymous in terms of services e.g. dialup vs. adsl/cable.....i'm starting to think dialup due to the fact you don't have one set ip address and you can use prepaid.....

Antionline Herpetologist
    But the ISP still knows what phone niumber you're dialling from.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Well,

My ADSL ISP gives me a new IP subnet addy each time I log on, but it is tied to my telephone line. My account cannot be used from a different telephone.

Cable is a different issue, as the address tends to be static. I really have no idea how satellite works? presumably on your account number or something.

With my dial-up ISP I can use any telephone so it would be possible for someone to steal my identity if they had the right information.

I have thought about the way spammers find a server that allows SMTP relays............If I can get into a commercial building and find an unused office or remote telephone, all I would do is divert the calls to an ISP and turn the ringer off I would still get caught if I was stupid, just like in the cops & robbers films The ISP would trace back to the diverted phone and that would have a call trace put on it. Given the duration of a useful net session it would not be long before I got a knock on my door?

A guy in this country recently got off a hacking rap because he claimed that a trojan had been planted on his machine and his identity stolen

I would guess that for short term usage a cybercafe would be fairly anonymous in a large city?

I still believe that it is almost impossible to remain anonymous if "they" really want to get you.

Cheers

A good script might help, like the watered down version of looksharpe? In essence, what you need to understand is that the user that does the flooding, may be spoofing their IP to begin with, hence
    for now, extremely difficult to trace. The flooding you speak of, could be accomplished through the use of sub-seven trojan or other trojan viri to turn computers into what is called "Zombie" computers. These machines, or indeed, with War Scripts, make use of Socket connections to irc these then flood channels with line upon line of gunk. Causing some to lag, others to disconnect etc etc, if load is big enough, even cause an irc "split" if irc servers are clustered and cannot handle the bandwidth or resource demands, old irc.msn.com comes to mind here.......

To let you know though..... RFC 2267 and RFC 2827 are 2 important ISP standards, in my opinion, that need to be enforced more stringently. These 2 RFC's make provision for the non-egress of non-isp sourced IPs. That means that if User dials up, uses DSL or Cable and is supposed to have IP 192.10.184.3, yet displays IP 196.10.11.8. The ISP should stop all connectivity from that computer as it could be Spoofing an IP for intent to use maliciously. So sometime soon, with the enforcement of these RFCs. A new kind of work-around will surely abound.

RFC 2267 <---- RFC link
    RFC 2287 <---- RFC Link
    (please could someone do me a favour, if possible. If anyone has read any of my other posts, please let me know if my use of English is improving. I am working hard on it to become more articulate and fluent. Thanks a million).
    HO$H Pagamisa. Pro Amour Ludi....

The ISP would trace back to the diverted phone and that would have a call trace put on it. Given the duration of a useful net session it would not be long before I got a knock on my door?
    If I may be so bold. there are ways to stop a telephone number from being registered on an ISP machine. I know that for a fact, a certain 2 character and 3 digit combonation stops the number from being sent as part of carrier signal in my country. Since our telephone company, (we only have one here) uses American (the best), AT&T equipment and SUN boxes, would it not be logical that this may happen also elsewhere in the world?! It would therefor make it difficult from even an isp point of view to give logs in that instance.......

Work-arounds do exist, but as stated in the previous post by Nihil, If they out to get you, they will eventually catch you......
    HO$H Pagamisa. Pro Amour Ludi....