Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mIRC Anonymity

mIRC Anonymity

How do you gain complete anonymity on mIRC???

I dont want to say theres never a way to be compleatly anonymous, but its hard. You could try a BNC witch would
    make your hostname apear as soemthing like aaronpsychosis@im.an.ub3r.3j3337.h4x0r which most of the time wouldnt resolv to anything or it would mask your ip. Proxys/wingates also can mask your whareabouts but if someone needed to badly they could contact that sysadmin and get there logs. So if you just want to hide yourself froum the avrage irc user then those options might work....but if your doing anything that might be frowned apon then you could always... just not do it . The choice is yours. Hope this is helpfull.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

I believe that the basic answer is that you don't. You can use proxy servers, and in particular chain them across several countries, but you can still be traced and identified.

The point is that you need an address to make contact with other computers, and that can be traced.

There are ways of remaining personally anonymous , but they are illegal so I will go no further.

Cheers

There are ways of remaining personally anonymous , but they are illegal so I will go no further.
    Nihil, you mean like cracking someone's computer and using them as proxies, then changing log files? If you own a bunch of servers and connect through your own serves then erase your home computers connection from the logs then turn them over...?

-Cheers-

Originally posted here by PM8228
    Nihil, you mean like cracking someone's computer and using them as proxies, then changing log files? If you own a bunch of servers and connect through your own serves then erase your home computers connection from the logs then turn them over...?

-Cheers-
    Using your own servers is not very helpful because you still have to connect to the internet through your own account and you are responsible for any traffic coming from that account, they trace it back to your computer and then deleting logs is not nearly enough to destroy the evidence, sticking your hardrive tape through a shredder and sprinkling it in the harbor is more like it.
    [gloworange]
    find /home/$newbie -name *? | www.google.com 2>/dev/null
    [/gloworange]

To be truley anonymous is close to impossible. Even going through proxies won't help that much...because if forced they may turn their logs over to trace you.

What are you doing that you need to be completely anonymous? Sounds shady to me!

So how do you mask the identity of the computer? Using other's computer address??? How do you do that? Do you have to download a software for that? By the way, Is it possible to chat without using any other program except MSDOS? I was just wondering if it is possible.

Basically what it comes down to is that most irc servers don't like people trying to be anonymous on their servers...When you connect to an irc server, it'll say something like, 'checking for wingates'..And then if it finds out that you are coming through a proxy or a wingate, the connection is dropped...My opinion is that if you really really need and want to stay anonymous on irc, the best thing to do is to not connect in the first place...My 2 cents
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

I'm not doing anything shady Nichole...it's merely to test security...i'm trying to figure out how all these people mask ip's etc when i hear of people doing so time after time and no explanation on how they do it...there's all this talk about proxies blah blah blah no simple explanation no simple "this is how you do it" it's inter-twined with technical computer jargon that i don't understand....just coz i want to know doesn't mean i'm gonna become a mIRC menace or anything to do with that...i'm interested in computer security and am trying to get my head around proxies coz i've tried a few programs that link your comp through proxies but they're all full of crap

also i've seen constant flooders on mIRC who hide there subnet mask somehow????