Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Secruity????

Computer Secruity????

Hello there,

Ive been a member of this website for a good month now and ive already learnt a great deal thanks to the information and tutorials on here

I'm interested in starting a career in Computer Secruity, i've tried a few searches on here but haven't found anything. I was just wondering if you guys could give me a few tips and pointers on my problem.

Thanks for your time.

I'd suggest you keep on searching and look into the field.

Try getting a job as an intern or get a basic A+ certification and start at a low level job and work your way up. If that's too slow get some other certifications or go back to school for a BS. Remember that practical experience + pieces of paper will help you.

I'm interested in starting a career in Computer Secruity
    which one...what would you like to do or learn more about...?

I don't mean to come across as an idiot, but something to do with network secruity. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to enter this field of work.

Cheers.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You're going to have to get a strong grasp of networking first. And before you do that, you'll need a strong grasp of how computers work. The method of getting into network security varies. And there are several "branches" you can get into:

- Intrusion detection
    - firewall management
    - secure administration
    - policy creation
    etc.

There is no one way to that point. There is, however, some reality to taking some courses (Bachelor's of Computer Networking would be something to look for) and having some certifications behind you. This is not an overnight process but one that can (and often does) take years. Expect to start as a "lowly" tech support and work your way up.

What do you do now? And how many years experience do you have with computers and computer administration?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I suggest getting a Security Clearance, a CISSP Cert, and have about 3 years expereince in the IT field.

You say "get a security clearance" like its as easy as that. I myself have one, but was fortunate enough to have a technical job in the military that provided one to me. I now work in the DC/MD area where a majority of the jobs require it. If you don't live in an area near a major government facility a clearance won't get you crap.

The military is a good option. It worked for me, but its not for everyone. Starting out as a system administartor and having alot of initiative would also work. Start there, get into networking and just keep learning. 99% of the people in IT security have come up through the lower ranks of IT jobs....

I live in England and where i live it is very hard to get a job with a computer involved, so thats a bit of a bitch

I do appreciate your advice and you sharing your information with me,thanks But dont a lot of hackers become secruity consultants of some kind? Thats not me saying im going to be a hacker but just that do you really need a qualification when you have the knowlegde anyways?

Thanks.

For most companies, knowledge *usually* isn't enough. So...even if you're the best WHH (white hat hacker) in the world, there are some/all/one companies/company that will not hire you because you don't have a slip of paper saying that you can perfom the tasks of a security consultant.

My advice...if you already have the knowledge, then passing a course or getting a certification would be no hard work anyways, right?

Get your certifications cause it'll pay off in the long run!

Happy BHH (Black Hat Hunting) and Happy WHH (White Hat Hacking)

Hello zarkbaar

Well I do agree with what everyone is saying here. As for myself, it was different. I WAS a hacker/cracker with no computer education. But I learned the hardway "I earned it." I have been into computers for nearly 20 years, currently know 6 programming languages, have pretty indepth knowledge of UNIX, Linus, Solaris, Mac.

Currently I am a computer security consultant started out getting my own clients by hacking their systems and emailing them with what I had done. I DON'T RECOMMEND THAT but it is how I got started. Now my client base is work of mouth.

Their is MUCH MUCH more to the store but there isn't the time or space here to put it..LOL. It was that hacker ego I had that made me think of my nick which I have been using for many years now.

CyberSorcerer
    PCTech-Help - FREE computer help and ALL tutorials are VIDEO TUTORIALS. No hand written tutorials here.