Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Secruity????

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I got started in the industry seven years ago as a lowly laptop repair tech. It was the only position in my (geographical) area that was open with the only requirement being a high school diploma. I knew alot, but couldn't get a job where i could challenge myself and my knowledge because I didn't have credentials.

Now, here I am, the head of an IT department, after numerous expensive pieces of paper and courses, and some time working for Uncle Sam. What did I learn from them? Not much, but how many times have you looked at the Computer/IT job listings and seen a really goob job with the words "bachelors degree required"?

Get certified. I recommend A+ and Network+ for everyone, regardless of IT specialty. If your going the Network Admin route, get Security+, MSCE, and a cert from a Linux or Unix vendor. I'd also get a CCNA or other networking vendor cert. As for the security end, I'd seriously look at the military. The information security assurance courses offered by DISA and NSA are great, and Security Clearances are extremely valuable from a marketing standpoint. Not to mention that they will pay for your college education and the MGIB covers certifications too. I'm sure there are similar programs through the RAF, MI6 or Army.

Best thing I ever did, for myself and my career, was join the military. I wouldn't take it back for anything in the world!

Thanks a lot guys,i've found a couple of places i can get to, which i can obtain a few of these "pieces of paper" you were on about,lol.

I'm not going to take the courses straight away mind you,in going to read on these forums cause i've learnt an awful lot just in the Newbie Secruity Questions,this site is awesome!!

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who replied and shared information with me

Nice one!

Well a friend of mine once tried to apply for a job at some bank as a co-admin of a network and after they asked if he has any previous experience with network security although they didn't turn him down they said they would prefer someone with no experience instead so that way they can train them they way they want them to be trained. But what I would do is read a lot about computer/network security if I were you. Learn as much as possible and along the way start looking for a job so you don't waste any time doing only one thing.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!